Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How big should I make the system partition on a 250GB HDD?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shukujo

shukujo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

It's a brand new unused hard drive, and I just want to know once and for all: is there an optimal size to make the system partition when setting up a hard drive? And this one may sound stupid, but I figure it's better to ask and know and be embarrassed than to never know anything for sure at all and inevitably make yourself look stupid at some point, so - so once I've installed Windows, in order to make best use of having made two partitions, do I then just move the whole Users folder over to the other partition?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

if youre going to run windows 7 the OS alone is going to take upwards of 20 Gigs, I cant speak for Windows 8 but I would say somewhere around 20-30 Gigs (there are a lot of laptops sold with a small SSD for the OS and typically they are either 24 or 32 Gigs) should be more than enough space with updates and system restore information.

Just make sure that you install programs on the other partition.

#3 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

If you are going to install win 7 or Win 8 on this hard drive then "leave it blank" and just plug it in. Once done, start you installation and allow the installation to select the best partition structure for you. Now if you install Win 7 (as described above), you can expect to see a structure of two partitions. The system partition will be 100MBs and the rest will be allocated as the C drive (usually). On win 8, you will end up with two partitions as well; however, the system partition will be 350MBs and the rest (again) will be allocated to the C drive. These two scenarios are for a Legacy installation; however, the partition structure will be different if your bios supports a UEFI installation and you have that option turned on. In any case, its best to let the installation automatically set the partition structure (initially) because you can always deal with the creation of additional partitions after the install has been completed by using the disk management tools that are available in either OS.

Edited by anyrepli, 26 April 2013 - 04:18 PM.

#4 shukujo

shukujo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

I think I understand now, let the Windows installation program decide on the initial partition sizes, then use Disk Management to create any additional partitions I would like. So once I've done all that, in order to make Windows automatically save data or programs to another partition, is it possible to just move the Users and/or Program Files/Program Files (x86) folders to said partitions, and will Windows then install programs and save data there, or am I just going overboard?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

Unless you specify a given size...the Windows install will use the entire drive.

Since you have room...and adjustments to size or number of partitions can be made anytime, either using Windows tools or 3d-party tools...I would start with installing Win 7 on a 50GB partition.  Then I would check in the Win 8 forum and see what size others are making their Windows partition for Win 8...and adjust my intall for Win 8 accordingly.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users