Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

free version Winpatrol

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tierra93

Tierra93

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

I wish to download the free version of winpatrol but when I downloaded it from their site (I refuse to use other sites as have picked up very nasty malware at CNET downloading security programs) it was for winpatrol plus. 

How do I get the free version?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

It's the same download: http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html

Note under the Blue download arrow button it says (FREE and PLUS)

When you upgrade to the Plus version another tab is added is all. You won't see it without the license. It's the tab to use the extra features of Plus.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,062 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

I wish to download the free version of winpatrol but when I downloaded it from their site (I refuse to use other sites as have picked up very nasty malware at CNET downloading security programs) it was for winpatrol plus.

You always have to be careful using CNET and similar reputable download hosting sites because they use heavy and confusing advertising with download links. Clicking on the incorrect link (thinking its the one you want) often results in downloading a program the user did not intend to download. Sometimes looking at the name of the setup file before saving it to your hard drive, will give a clue to what you are actually downloading so you can cancel out of it. The safest practice is to use the vendor's home site but in some cases, they too will redirect you to another hosting site which contains advertisements that can be confusing.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

This is what you are looking for at the site that Animal has linked you to -
Download WinPatrol 28.1.2013
(FREE and PLUS)

P.S. I never use CNET now that they use a variety of "Wrappers" hidden in downloads -
I find File Hippo as about the better of the 3rd party downloaders if I am unable to use/find the vendors sites.

#5 Hawkers

Hawkers

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:39 AM

CNET has been known in the past to alter the installation files for their own benefit with toolbars.

#6 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:43 AM

That's why I pledge to never, ever, use third-party web sites to host my downloads on my own web site.  Those who don't are either stingy or they are wimps. 

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users