Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

R.I.P. Windows Live Messenger. Forced migration to Skype begins today.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

The long awaited transition from Windows Live Messenger to Skype begins today. The next time Windows Live Messenger users attempt to login, they will be greeted with a message message stating a new version is available and that you must update in order to continue. This new update, though, is not for Live Messenger but rather to install Skype 6.3, which you will now be forced to use.

rip-messenger.jpg

Those using 3rd party programs, such as Trillian or Pidgin, will still be able to communicate via the Messenger network until April 30th when it is slated to be shutdown.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Valinorum

Valinorum

Shadow Hide The Hunter

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 1,701 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

Mine updated last night.

Well, it was good while it lasted. Although, I will miss the old latenight MSN hangouts with my friends.

Regards,

Snake

Geek U Graduate

I close my topic(s) with no replies for more than 4 days. PM me or Moderators to reactivate. All helps are provided via forum ergo do not PM me for help.

#3 payokun

payokun

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

has anyone had issues using skype with a MSN account??

I've logged into my MSN acount in skype and I can see all my MSN contact but when I try to send them a message they just dont get it, they don't even see me online, they say. Anyone?? and if so what can be done??

Thanks!!!

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

Migrated with no issues from MSN to Skype. Even though I hate it.

https://support.skype.com/en/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 MegaDan5

MegaDan5

• Members
  • 214 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

I made the switch, and am not having any problems.

Though I'm not looking forward to losing all my friends on MSN who haven't moved to Skype yet.

Edited by MegaDan5, 28 April 2013 - 12:59 PM.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

I admit to preferring Skype over WLM and I was thrilled when I heard I could merge account. Although there were a few hitches (mainly caused by vague information, not by actual bugs, at least not in my case) I didn't encounter any major problem.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

I have Skype so I can talk to my children and grandchildren and see them while talking.

The issue I have is that I want to keep my Skype and MSN accounts separate.

I'll probably not even set it up for messenger replacement because it has been a long time since I used Windows Messenger.

#8 payokun

payokun

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:31 PM

Ok, question... I already migrate my MSN account to Skype. if one of my contacts for some reason is still using MSN messenger (hasn't updated), will he/she be able to receive the texts that I send through skype, be be able to see me online and or do video calls?? Or does he/she needs to be using Skype also.??

Thank you!! 

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:13 AM

I was able to call MSN contacts using Skype. Now that they don't support WLM anymore any MSN contact will likely not be able to go online at all unless they upgrade or use an alternative application.

QE, I keep personal and work contacts separated by using lists. That doesn't mean people not on your list can't contact you, but you won't see them in the contact list (I use this to make sure the kid can't access work contacts).

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#10 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:45 PM

I stopped use of Instant messengers except for Meebo.

saint satin stain
Responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.
www.leftinalabama.com

#11 Cyroguy

Cyroguy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:30 PM

http://community.skype.com/t5/Live-Messenger/Guide-On-How-To-Continue-Using-Live-Messenger-MSN/m-p/1546274/highlight/true#M8470

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,305 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

That doesn't stop the popups asking to upgrade to Skype. Additionally the WLM servers are scheduled to be deactivated around March 2014 so thats less than a year of use. Just a bandaid on an open wound for those of us who preferred the better product. IMHO

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#13 Cyroguy

Cyroguy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

Actually yes it does stop the pop reminders.

Have been using it now for 3 weeks and not one single Skipy pop up.

Also allows me to run BOTH WLM and skipy side by side.

Using WLE 16.4.3505.0912

Skipy kept on breaking WLE. I found that if i

1.  Installed Skipy 6.5.105

2.  Told skipy NOT to auto run

3.  DISABLED skipy updates and then

4.  re-installed WLE from a standalone (not always needed to use REVIVER)

5. Ran Reviver

Lots of people are having issues with the newer verions of Skipy and even Skipy support often tells people to revert to older versions for stability.

that is the sequence that worked for me

#14 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,305 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:19 PM

I got the popups to 'update'. Have the latest Skype and no issues with stability. Just hate the platform in general.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#15 Cyroguy

Cyroguy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:29 PM

Win 7 x64 good all round spec.

Issues with Skipy

1. only 90% of contacts came over during migration tried almost all the methods outlined by Skipy to no avail (common issue apparently)

2. keeps taking control of audio settings esp. mic causing loud feedback issues (despite turning the mute option on in the mixer for my sound)

3. as you say the platform in general just sucks in comparison to WLM with a LOT of missing features that I used quite often inc remote control (now moved to teamviwer)

4. pop up notifications for email etc work sporadic.

5. insists on making a phone call to a contact when I just want to IM

6. layout of 4 columns and small font (cannot be changed, only the IM font)

7. everyone's game updates cluttering the screen (WLM can filter)

Dont get me wrong its a great VOIP standalone !

an IM it is not !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users