Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Install Windows Xp?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Saad

Saad

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:33 PM

i have been suggested to install new windows ........which i wa thinking of doing too..........but the problem is i haven't tried to intall it before............this will be my first attempt of intalling window............and the only thing i know about it is to put the cd in and follow instructions.............my computer mostly freezes and so slow..................please help ...............on how to install the windows :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 08 April 2006 - 07:06 PM

Hello Saad and welcome to Bleeping Computer. The first thing I would like is for you to tell us what kind of computer you have. What brand? What model (if it has a model number)? What operating system is on it now? How what RAM do you have? What verison of windows do you want to install, XP Home, Mult-Media Edition, or XP Pro? What are you running not, and do you have problems with spyware and/or virus'?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Saad

Saad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 01:16 AM

right now i have windows xp pro 2002 ...service pack 2...installed ..............and i have P3................and its dell computer......and like 3 weeks ago i had spyware in my computer rite.............and it showed the person's ip and email address who was trying to get into mycomputer....................and at that time i had no antispyware ..................but then installed the anti spyware ZoneAlarm Pro and AVG antivirus....................and my computer is extremely slow............and when iopen it ..........it takes 5-7 minute to work properly other wise it freezes..............so thats why i wanna install the new windows xp pro...............but its my first time so i need help.......................and also internet explorer is giving me a lot problem too...........like websites are not animating stuff......................and u know neopets.com............there games are not opening and i can't watch videos online....................so thats why i decided to intall the new windows.............what do u suggest.........please help

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:14 AM

Hell Saad, Since you are a Novice at re-installing Windows and actually I am not I have re-installed Windows many time over the last 2 dozen years. First I will suggest for you to have some one in your area help you. Basically because of all of the little problems that turn into big one's if you know what I mean. Second before you re-install Windows you should back up all of your data files like - email, favorites, address book and all important to you documents. Oh also any pictures you might have that are important like pictures of family, girl friend's etc. Reason is that when reinstalling Windows or doing a repair there is always a chance you will lose all of your data especially if you are re-installing because you really should format the drive(s).

Your best bet is to contact a friend who has done this before or a Computer User Group in your area, they are all over the place and more than likely they will have somebody or bodies that can help you.

Try a computer club at school if you still are young enough to go to school, heck try that even if you no longer go to school.

What ever you do DO NOT try this alone the first time, get help and locally. I know this and speak from experience, I did this 25 years ago and learned the hard way

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:12 AM

First off let me geive you alittle background on myself. I have installed XP Home 34 times this years and XP Professional 78 times this year alone. I have no doubt you can install XP Professional with little or no problems. How much RAM does yor computer have. Xp Professional can run with as little as 128mb but it will be oainful and you will not be happy with the results. I suspect this is part of your problem. I have many computer at my home (13 in all) all but one a intel P-III base. I would recommend you upgrade the memory to 512mb of RAM. RAM is cheap and is a excellnt way to increase your peformance. As a matter of personal expirence the problems you are having could be RAM, or lack of, related.
I do not know what king of problems ThorXP had 25 years ago but it was not windows relaed, since Windows 1.0 did not release til late '83. Even if he did Windows of even the mid-90's is vastly different and have little in common other than they are MicroSoft product. All three XP's are very straight forward to install. The most common problem I find with Windows install is forgeting to remove the CD when prompted to do so at reboot. XP has solved this by detecting the presence of any installed OS and prompting you to "Press any key to boot from CD...".
Since you are having an issue of virus' and malware I recommend you not just FORMAT you drive but WIPING it first. They are many products out there to do this ith but the easiest is Active@KillDisk-Drive Wipe Utility. It is simple and straight forward. It is also free. This proeedure will take upward of 24 to 36 hours to complete, but is the only way to destory all infected files. FORMATTING will leave the files intact. That is why specialize programs can recover FORMATED or DELETED files. One you wipe a drive there will be little if anythng to recover. Not that you would want to.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users