Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why does my desktop display go blank after the boot-up screen?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Hellavon

Hellavon

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:41 AM

Last night I took my pc tower to my friends house to game out, I only brought my tower as he already has extra cables and an extra monitor. Brought it there, hooked it up to his equipment and everything worked fine. This morning I brought my tower back home, hooked it back up to all of my stuff again and booted'er up. Everything seemed fine, I saw the boot-up screen and the loading screen and then right when it is supposed to go to the log-in/enter password screen it goes blank. I still hear the sound that windows makes at that screen, and if I blindly enter in my password I can hear it log in and everything. I tried various power cycles and unplug/plug-in techniques but I always get the same thing. Since I can see the display during boot-up I tried entering safe mode, when I do that it doesn't go blank and everything works fine. It's only when I start it up in normal mode that it will go blank at the log-in screen. I'm using a coby tv/monitor hooked up via VGA cable and I've never had any problems, my desktop doesn't have an hdmi output or I would try that. Haven't had any problems until I simply hooked it up to my friends monitor and then back up to mine. In safe mode I try to mess with the resolution in the control panel but no matter what I change it to nothing happens and upon reboot it defaults back. Please help! I think I just may need to get my graphics card to recognize it again but for some reason it won't. and in safe mode I can't see or configure my nvidia video card driver. Just the system drivers and such.
   Here are my Dxdiags below. The first one is from before I was having this issue, I've included it because it shows the display device information. The second one I just made in safe mode now that I'm having this problem. Doesn't show the display info, I think just because it's in safe mode. Thank you for your time and help :)

Normal DxDiag before any problems:

Attached File  DxDiag normal mode before problem.txt   33.42KB   4 downloads

Safe mode DxDiag after the problem.

Attached File  DxDiag safe mode after problem.txt   27.19KB   6 downloads

Edited by Hellavon, 26 April 2013 - 03:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:31 AM

Hello Hellavon,

Make sure your graphics card is properly seated after moving the tower. Try uninstalling the Display Adapter in safe mode via device manager. Reboot and see what happens. BTW, I see you are on BIOS version A03 but when I look at your available BIOS updates at Dell, it shows A07 as the initial BIOS with no updates available. Am I missing something there?

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/xps-420?driverId=R215689&fileId=2731125974&osCode=ww1&languageCode=en#OldVersion

Edited by anyrepli, 26 April 2013 - 08:33 AM.

#3 Hellavon

Hellavon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

Well...things are worse now lol so I'll be having to do this from my phone, so I won't be able to show any pictures or upload any files. I took my tower apart and followed all static precautions. After some YouTube tutorials I learned how to take out my video card and RAM (just for good measure). The video card seemed to be in place but the blue piece of plastic that secures it had been popped out. I took the video card and ram out and put them all securely back in place. Started it up and tried it again but it did the same thing, everything looks fine up until the loading screen finishes and then at the log-in screen it goes blank and says "not supported" on my monitor. So I was going to try the next idea of uninstalling the display devices thing but now when I go into safe mode it freezes after it loads everything up to "Loaded: \Windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys". Then it just hangs there forever....never did that before. So what now? :P

#4 Hellavon

Hellavon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:24 AM

And no you weren't missing anything, I guess my dell AO3 was a little outdated. It said all my drivers were up-to-date and I had everything set to auto-update but I guess I somehow missed updating that. I'm not too tech savy =\ was going to update that as well as messing with the display driver after I made sure the cards were securely in place but now I can't even get in safe mode. Bah, thank you for the advice to try though.

#5 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

Do you have a CD or DVD disc sitting in your optical device by any chance?

Edited by anyrepli, 26 April 2013 - 08:31 AM.

#6 Hellavon

Hellavon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

Just checked and there was nothing in there =\ I could atleast get into safe mode before I checked if all the cards were seated right, and the display worked before I plugged it into my friends monitor and then brought it home and plugged it back into mine. I don't know why things keep getting worse ><

#7 Hellavon

Hellavon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

So what can I do to atleast get it into safe mode now? So I can try the second half of your idea and play with the drivers. Did I accidentally shock something when I took it apart? I tried to be very careful to be discharged every time I touched anything =\

#8 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

I'm not sure what happened at this point but there is plenty of press and "how-to-fixes" available on the internet regarding your last crc.sys symptom. Anyway, can you afford to lose any data files to try and get your PC back to factory default conditions? If so, why not try and do a Dell factory restore? 

#9 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

Here are the steps to restore your desktop (if you decide to try it):

Windows Vista: Dell Factory Image Restore
Using Factory Image Restore:
1 Turn on the computer. When the Dell logo appears, press <F8> several times to access the Vista Advanced Boot Options Window.
2 Select Repair Your Computer.
The System Recovery Options window appears.
3 Select a keyboard layout and click Next.
4 To access the recovery options, log on as a local user. To access the command prompt, type administrator in the User name field, then click OK.
5 Click Dell Factory Image Restore.
NOTE: Depending upon your configuration, you may need to select Dell Factory Tools, then Dell Factory Image Restore.
The Dell Factory Image Restore welcome screen appears.
6 Click Next.
The Confirm Data Deletion screen appears.
NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with Factory Image Restore, click Cancel.
7 Click the checkbox to confirm that you want to continue reformatting the hard drive and restoring the system software to the factory condition, then click Next.
The restore process begins and may take five or more minutes to complete.
A message appears when the operating system and factory-installed applications have been restored to factory condition.
8 Click Finish to reboot the system.

Edited by anyrepli, 26 April 2013 - 09:04 AM.

#10 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

One other thought... Did you perhaps adjust the screen resolution of your graphics' card to match your friends monitor and now you are trying to plug it back into your own monitor and it does not support your friend's screen resolution or you have your monitor set to a fixed resolution and that is causing the screen to go blank issue? If so, you can try setting your monitor to default values and maybe it will auto-detect and get you past the blank screen issue (long shot here).

#11 Hellavon

Hellavon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

Solved! My friend told me to go into the settings at boot-up and change the video setting from PEG to PCI, I did that and then it rebooted and had a complete start-up failure haha. Was discouraged but then it forced me to do a system recovery and restarted. Then it said something about a disk may be unstable? so it wiped out a bunch of files and reinstalled them. Then it rebooted again and everything worked. I went back into the settings and changed it back to PEG (just because I'm pretty sure that's what it should be on by default), rebooted and it all works. I'm pretty sure it was just the system recovery and damaged file recovery that it made me do that fixed it, so your system recovery idea worked but I guess that was my round-about way of accidentally doing it. You're probably also right that it was caused by my resolution changing from my friends monitor, but since it restored back to settings before the resolution was changed it seems to be working now. I also thank you for the BIOS tip, now that I'm on my computer I'll be sure to update that. Thank you!

#12 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

That's a double wow and two thumbs up for you! Glad you got it fixed and thanks for explaining you steps to recovery.

#13 Hellavon

Hellavon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

Ofcourse, I guess all I had to do was mess it up so bad that it just made me stop messing with stuff and fixed itself! lol. To anyone else though; I would first make sure all cards are seated right, then uninstall the display adapter to try to get it to re-auto-detect your monitor or something of that sort, then if you're still having problems do the system recovery and it should work. Worse comes to worse you can trying the "what's this button do?" technique that I did and go into the start-up settings (F2) and switch it from PED to PCI in display, save it and reboot and follow all the steps after the start-up failure, just don't forget to switch it back to PED even though it'll work....  because I'm sure it's on PED on default for a reason. Just for future reference haha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users