Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Complete Restart

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nPegler

nPegler

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:24 AM

Ok so I'm basically at my wits end with this desktop issue that I'm having. I recently had a power supply go out, taking the motherboard, processor, and one of my hard drives with it. I rebuilt the computer replacing those components with:

Foxconn A75A Motherboard

AMD A6 Processor

Intel 120 Gb SSD

Logisys 550W Modular PSU

I have reused:

6 GB DDR3 1866 RAM (3 x 2 GB)

1 of 2 HDD (320 GB) that was used in the old RAID 1 configuration

DVD-RW Drive

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate Edition to the SSD

All drivers are up to date

DirectX is up to date

Bios is up to date

Clean AV and Spyware sweep

Since day one of this build the computer would randomly restart (no BSOD) when I was playing some games which I chalked up to the onboard GPU not being able to support that game (despite my laptop being able to handle them). Recently it has started doing it at completely random times. I can be just browsing the net working on my college classes or having the system idle as I am away doing something. No errors are shown in the system event log and starting in Safe Mode makes no difference. I have even borrowed my roommates 12 GB of DDR3 1866 to test if the RAM was faulty.

Any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated.

Edited by nPegler, 26 April 2013 - 01:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

I know this seems trivial but have you checked all the heatsinks?

A friend of mine had a computer and the CPU heatsink was not plugged in correctly, depending on the day and what he was doing it would run for a while then just randomly shut off, sometimes restarting.

Just a thought

#3 nPegler

nPegler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

The cpu heatsink is firmly seated. I have a program set up to monitor system status and it shows a current temp of 35 C. When it just shut down about half an hour ago I checked the log to see that it got up to 40 C. Neither of those temps seem excessively hot...

The program is CPUID HWMonitor

Edited by nPegler, 26 April 2013 - 06:12 PM.

#4 nPegler

nPegler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

Here's what I've done so far in addition to the above:

Fresh install of Windows 7

Memtest86+ on each individual RAM chip for 5 passes (around 2 hours each)

Adjust RAM voltage settings in BIOS to meet manufacturer specifications of 1.7VDC Optimal operation

Visited http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp and input my system specs accurately. Calculated 295 W required. Have a 550 W Power Supply.

The system still continues restart randomly, though more often if I run games. Certain games require longer for the forced restart than others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users