Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Home Edition SP2 Becoming unresponsive after a few minutes.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NinjaStyle013

NinjaStyle013

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:09 AM

Recently replaced the hard drive on my HP dx7400 PC I got as an upgrade from my parent's workplace because it decided to fail on the first day of my 2 week break.

Was working fine after I got the drivers installed but this morning I went to go on it & found I had left Aurora (Firefox) open all night. Went to go close it & the pc screen just froze. I was able to move my mouse around & click the start button but then that became frozen.

I turned it off then back on & now its being an absolute cow & not wanting to boot into widnows & when it does it still goes unresponsive after a few minutes. I diagnosed some stuff with a friend of mine & the CMOS needs a new battery, tried some from old pcs but they look pretty dead too.

He keeps saying it might be my ram but I've taken the sticks out (Have 2,took out one, put in one removed other, different slots) & its still happening.

Also it doesnt want to start up the XP install disc at boot either but that's probably the CMOS.

It's just weird that it was running brilliant, the new hard drive was so much faster (Isn't new, just an empty drive I had) & was very happy. Now its just...paralyzed. If I do windows key + l it will go to the login screen where the hover effects & stuff work but I cannot shut down the pc or log back in because the login screen just like freezes over top of the desktop.

2.8GHZ Core 2 Duo CPU

160GB Seagate HDD

1GB DDR2 Ram

Intel Q33 Chipset (Dunno the video but its onboard & that might help)

Its also worth adding that a lot of the time the damn power button wont work either when it hangs meaning I have to pull out the power cable to reboot it which makes me feel like im killing my fresh drive.

When I was installing the drivers I did install a chipset driver which I think includes the video driver then I isntalled a independant driver.

Im sorry if this is vague Im sure Im missing out on a lot of details but feel free to ask.

Also I had to put a PSU in this pc because it didnt have one but I found one that fitted & had all the needed connections. Its 300W but im concerned this might be causing problems idk I would highly doubt cuz its from an older dell pc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:34 AM

Hmmm...first of all, how did you determine that your CMOS battery needed replacement?

If that's an accurate assessment, "replacement" means a new battery (which costs less $5 where I live) and I suggest that you purchase one and subsitute for whichever CMOS battery is now in the system.

Louis

#3 NinjaStyle013

NinjaStyle013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:51 AM

Thanks for replying louis

Had a cmos checksum error at boot for a long time and my buddy said that meant cmos was dead and no bios settings were saving.

Pulled the battery out and it was black around when its supposed to be red? unsure but will be getting a new one

#4 NinjaStyle013

NinjaStyle013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:33 AM

Alright got a brand spanking new cmos battery, it actually saved the bios settings (Just did optimized defaults) instead of black screening, no press f1 to continue screen where it had the checksum error & booted into windows fine.

So far Ive been able to write this out without freezing & browse the device manager to see if I hadn't of missed a driver so it looks ok but I will inform you if it freezes again.

Thank you so much for your help louis!

#5 NinjaStyle013

NinjaStyle013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:34 AM

Alright got a brand spanking new cmos battery, it actually saved the bios settings (Just did optimized defaults) instead of black screening, no press f1 to continue screen where it had the checksum error & booted into windows fine.

So far Ive been able to write this out without freezing & browse the device manager to see if I hadn't of missed a driver so it looks ok but I will inform you if it freezes again.

Thank you so much for your help louis!

EDIT: Went and had a toasted sandwich & the pc had rebooted itself after posting this. Still booted into windows but keeping an eye on it. If you have any suspiscious ideas tell me.

Edited by NinjaStyle013, 27 April 2013 - 01:42 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:37 AM

You are missing well over 100 critical updates post-SP3, as well as SP3.

I suggest that you install SP3 and all subsequent critical updates immediately.

Louis

#7 NinjaStyle013

NinjaStyle013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:40 AM

Will do louis, data allowance is gunna take a hit lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users