Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer doesn't recognize my flash drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dasher15

dasher15

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

I have a new laptop (about one week old) operating on Windows 7 Professional, and it doesn't recongnize a flash drive I'm using.  It's a 2.0 USB flash drive loaded with copywrited material that cannot be copied to another source and cannot be deleted.  I know that it works, because I've opened it on three other devices, one running on Windows XP and two others running on Windows 7.  I also know that the USB ports are working on my new laptop, because I've used other flash drives on the device without any issues.  

The flash drive will appear in my Devices and Printers a few minutes after plugging it in and then it will appear in my Computer, but when I try to view the files in either location the computer doesn't see any of the files on the drive.

Is this a problem with a security setting or blocking of certain file types?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:50 AM

When you open Computer in Win Explorer you can see the drive under Devices with Removable Storage? Is it indicating that files are stored on it: XX GB free of XX GB?

First I'd check that your computer is able to view hidden and protected files. It sounds like you know your way around a computer, but just for kicks Open Control Panel,  Appearance and Personalization, Folder Options, and select Show hidden files, folders, and drives. Also uncheck the boxes that say Hide empty drives in the computer folder and Hide protected system files (Recommended) and click Ok.

I'd also check to make sure the flash drive doesn't have the same drive letter as another drive on your computer. Some users have reported problems when their flash drive was assigned the same drive letter as another drive on their network share. Their computer recognized the drive in Disk Management, but wasn't displaying properly until they changed the drive letter.

#3 jamiep87

jamiep87

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

Could it be that since the drive prevents copying or modifying it would require other software to view it? Maybe its encrypted and needs a software to be able to access it?

#4 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

Maybe. Hopefully dasher will update us as to what he's found out since his original post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users