Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible hard drive failure?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

Here is the situation, I have a workstation that we use to make some server backups on.  It has a 2TB drive in it that is used for making the backups.  It just started acting really weird all of the sudden as it will show that about 3\4 of the drive is full, which is true but it will not show that any of the folders have anything in them.  When the computer tries to write anything to the drive it says it has a read/write error.  I have another drive to put in it to replace the old one but I would rather not just trash a 2TB drive if it's not bad.  (and for the record we do have other backup systems in place that are working fine but when the boss wants another backup that he can get his hands on easily ya just don't argue)  Any ideas what would be causing this problem and how to fix it?  It looks like it could be drive failure but I would think that would cause other errors also.  I also noticed that everything in the drive suddenly showed that it was set to read only and if I uncheck the read only attribute on the folder all the subfolders disappear.   

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:28 AM

That sounds like a drive controller error, I have seen this many times before, hook up a hard drive, lights come on, spools up, either showing nothing, or shows it has stuff on it but freezes when try to transfer files onto or off of it.

That's the beginnings of a hardware failure, are you sure that the hard drive you are using is rated for long term use? (Im assuming its almost always on)

#3 hispaladin

hispaladin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

I couldn't tell you if its rated for long term use, I don't know what to look for and I wasn't with the company when the system was built.  The drive is a Seagate Barracuda Green 2000GB SATA drive.  You said it looked more like the drive controller was going, would that cause a BSOD?  I got a blue screen and stop error this morning

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

0x000000D1 (I didn't write down all the rest of the codes)

NTFS.SYS - address B9CDE339 base at B9CDC000 Datestamp 48025be5

Should we be looking into replacing the workstation?  It does have a little age on it and is starting to move kinda slow so we are nearly ready to replace it anyhow but if we were to have a little extra push (like the mobo going) it would probably happen much faster.

#4 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

Barracuda Green should be a fairly good one, if you look for drives that are advertised as "server" drives they will be a little more expensive but should be rated to last a good long time, it sounds like you are running the computer as a server would run anyways.

That particular issue is usually a driver error, BUT if you have been having hard drive issues lately (specifically controller issues as it seems) that can look like a driver issue to windows. You may want to consider getting 2 drives, a small one for holding the OS and programs, and the second a large one to house data, that way if the data drive dies you can just swap that out without worrying about reinstalling the OS and things.

I would say do the following steps:

1. If possible hook the drive into another computer and see if there is an error there (this will narrow it down to the drive or the motherboard)
  2. If it works then you may want to try reinstalling the OS and everything onto it.
  3. If that results in a confirmed bad drive, get a new drive and install it on the computer
  4. If still not working correctly get a new computer, this way you will have a spare drive to put in, and a confirmed working system.

#5 hispaladin

hispaladin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

The system currently has two drives, a 2TB data drive and a 640GB drive with the OS on a partition and another data partition.  I have hooked up the second drive via a USB to SATA adapter with no success but that could just an issue with the adapter, I will try hooking it directly into another machine to see if it can access the data and/or has a issue.  I am currently formating the new drive in the system and going to see if we have an issue with it also which will rule out the drive (mostly) being bad.  The one thing that makes me wonder about the hardware is that it was acting up yesterday by showing that the drive is better than half full and showing folders on the drive but not showing any files in the folders.  All the folders were showing that they were empty and looking at properties on the folders they showed a size of 0.  I am going to do some trouble shooting and try the things you suggested greengiant and I'll let ya know how it goes.

#6 hispaladin

hispaladin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

Well the drive works perfectly in the second system without any trouble accessing the data.  I ran a seagate diagnostic test on the drive and it passed all the tests.  Not really sure what was causing our issues but we are up and running again and the boss man is happy  :clapping: so looks like we are good to go for a while.  We are looking into replacing the system before to long anyway and it doesn't house our main backups so its not mission critical that it stay up and running.  

Thanks for your input

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users