Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Timestamps And Moving Data

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rvan801

Rvan801

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 08 April 2006 - 05:12 PM

My situation is this: I'm trying to move a very large amount of files (both in size and volume) from a Windows ME computer to a Dell Windows XP, reformat the former, and then move all the files back to the Windows ME from the Dell. Unsurprisingly, my first question is what is the best way to move all these files? I am currently using floppies, since this computer has neither a cd-burner or internet access. For example, I've once seen a "memory stick" (I don't think I'm referring to it correctly) that is plugged into the USB port; if anyone could suggest such alternative devices to floppies (or elaborate on whatever I'm trying to allude to), that would be great. On that note, my second question involves timestamps, the information regarding a file's creation, modification, and access date. I would like to preserve all of my files' timestamps exactly as they are, but am finding that whenever I copy a file to a floppy, the creation date is changed to the current time. So, my two questions are actually somewhat intertwined. In short, how can I move large amounts of files efficiently and while preserving their timestamps? I give my thanks in advance to anyone who can answer both or even just one of these questions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:42 PM

Use a Ethernet Crossover Cable and use Network Connection. Choose Create a new connecetion. It the first list of choices select the forth, Setup an Advance Connection. It will allow you to use several method to connect the two computers directly. I would recommend your ethernet ports. That is what they are for and will be the fastest for transferring your files.
Just to let you know I will transfer this topic to the Networking Forum. I believe it is better suited there.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:06 PM

Also you talked about "Memory Sticks". You can get them pretty cheap nowadays and if you have USB Ports would be a hell of a good option. You can find a 512mb for about 40$ (that is actually pretty expensive). That would beat floppies anyday (512 compared to 1.44 I think I would go for the 512).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users