Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

error message says missing Bass.dll file

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 trini

trini

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

Hi, all here is my proplem whenever i try to open and play a game this error message keep coming up missisng Bass.dll file please help me i recently did a clean install from xp to windows 7 on my Hp mini 110-3010nr notebook please help.

trinilas1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

See http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/bass-dll-not-found-missing-error.htm

Louis

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

When did this problem start? This could be due to a number of issues -- the .dll file in question may be corrupt, it may be infected, it could be a registry error, the file may even have been accidentally deleted. If you're sure you didn't delete it, start by running a virus scan of your entire system. If that comes up with no viruses, try a system restore to a restore point before the error started occuring. If that doesn't fix it, try removing and reinstalling the game. If THAT doesn't work, try reinstalling the video drivers.

Bass.dll is an audio library, so your game will need to use it. Whatever you do, DON'T download a bass.dll file from the Internet to try and replace it.

#4 trini

trini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

I wasnt aware of when it started only when i tried to play a game from off my flashdrive where i had the game that i usually play on another computer without any problems, however after looking for solutions i realize that it may have been after i dowloaded pc tuneup as i tried to do a system restore and was unable to so do, i did however foolishly download the bass.dll file and tried to reinstall it, now i have realize that i'm infected i in-installed pc tuneup so now i need to clean up whatever virus i may have, I see u suggested re-installing the video drivers so i'm gonna do that and see what happens pls let me knw of a good anti-virus program

#5 trini

trini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

correction I Un-installed pc tuneup

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

I don't know that pc tuneup would have installed any viruses, unless you downloaded a corrupted copy of it. Did you use the "registry tuneup" feature in pc tuneup? It's never a good idea to use registry cleanup or tuneup tools. The software's settings for "incorrect" registry entries may, in fact, be necessary on your computer, depending on your OS, applications, etc. Registry settings should only be changed individually, with the Registry Editor that comes with your OS, and only by someone who actually knows what they're doing. It's possibly pc tuneup may have reset the registry entries for your game, and that's why it can't find the bass.dll library.

As far as downloading any .dll files goes, best practice is don't. These libraries come packaged with the applications and/or OS that is installed on your comouter, so downloading one from the Internet almost ensures you're doing to get one loaded with malware.

At this point, try downloading a reputable antivirus program, like Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast (free versions are available), and running a full system scan.

Let me know how that works out.

#7 trini

trini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

ok i did two sets of virus scan with the avg anti and the one you reccommended microsoft essentials and both of them found no problems i still however have the same problem with the missing files anymore advice????

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

Since it's not a virus, and you can't go back to a previous restore point, try reinstalling the game. Check Control Panel>Programs, uninstall it there, and then reinstall it.

You've already reinstalled the drivers according to a previous post, and I don't think you can roll back the drivers since you recently upgraded the OS, so your drivers should be recent. But if you can roll back the video driver, try doing that. If reinstalling the game doesn't work, run the sfc /scannow command from the command line prompt. It may prompt you for the CD you used to install Windows 7. System File Checker will search for and replace any missing or corrupt files.

Let me know how that works.

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

"BASS" is an audio library DLL. Download it from http://www.un4seen.com/

Extract the zip and copy "BASS.DLL" to the folder in which the game executable is located.

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

Anand -- Please see earlier posts, including the link provided by hamluis (ignoring the advice there to use a registry cleaner). It's never a good idea to download unknown .dll files of any type; it's a great way to install malware. The bass.dll library comes installed with existing video drivers and/or program files. It's better and safer to install it from there. And it stands a better chance of working than downloading .dll libraries from a website.

#11 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

The above link is from the makers of "BASS.DLL"  (Those who codes it). Before posting something at least try to check the link.

#12 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:04 AM

We've gone from advocating the installation of audio dynamic link libraries designed for application developers, to suggesting that the antivirus protection be turned off. Not sure this is really helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users