Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unwanted

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 AST1

AST1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

I'm Using a Windows 8 laptop 64 bit version. I've found some unwanted photos (nothing illegal)but still unwanted on the laptop when using a free scanning tool. I cannot seem to find where they are hiding so I can't get rid of them. I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure if I can mention the software I've used,but I'm sure you know the typical cleaners out there that I've been using. I've erased the free space several times with three different free softwares. There are only 4 photos in the pictures folder because I don't use this computer for those reason. I assume the pics came from surfing (yes others use this computer). I'm beginning to think they are in some folder instead of in the the free space,but I can't find them other than with the free software that looks for deleted files. Any ideas where or how to get rid of them. If I'm allowed to mention the software I've used let me know and I'll tell you.Thanks and hope you can give me ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

Hi

If the software you used is either free, shareware or a purchased product, you can mention the details.

Since you suspect the photos are from net , it should probably hidden under the temporary internet files. You can use 'CCleaner' to clean all the temp files including temporary internet files.

#3 AST1

AST1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

Hi

If the software you used is either free, shareware or a purchased product, you can mention the details.

Since you suspect the photos are from net , it should probably hidden under the temporary internet files. You can use 'CCleaner' to clean all the temp files including temporary internet files.

I have used Ccleaner with the wipe MFT and free space,revouninsaller's evidence remover,eraser etc. They still persist. I even tried "Philip" a free software that fills up the free space. This why I'm thinking there not in the free space. Help guys!

#4 johngreen168

johngreen168

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

If you know the location of the files, you may try to unhide and delete them. See How to see hidden file

#5 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

I'm somewhat confused by your issue. So, let me summarize where I think you are right now:

You have 4 unwanted photos in the pictures folder... so can you see them if you click on the pictures in that folder? You then later say that the only way they can be found is by using free software that looks for deleted files. So, is your dilemma that they have been deleted but still show up when you use thee free software file or did you try to delete them and now they show up in both places (eg, in the folder + show up as previously deleted as well). Now, if they are showing up in both places, then maybe you still have something on your computer that is regenerating those images. Sounds like it could possibly be an infection of some sort if that is the case.

#6 AST1

AST1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

Hi anyrepli. No those 4 are in the pictures folder and simple to find. Using "diskdigger" I run a scan and a bunch of the unwanted photos still show up after several swipes with various cleaners of the free space.

#7 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

So you really have two issues then. The first being the 4 photos actually residing in the pictures folder and the others that have already been deleted (but appear to be recoverable by diskdigger); yes? So, at this point, are you really just concerned with the 4 pictures in the folder because I don't see those deleted files as an issue (even though diskdigger can find and recover them) because those files will eventually be overwritten as new deletions are performed. So, you can see those 4 files but what actually happens when you try to delete them and what happens if you right-click on each picture and go to the properties? What information is available there?

#8 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

2 cents- disk digger is software created for the purpose of recovering deleted files and folders.  If these are "unwanted" files, diskdigger is not the software you should be using.  When you delete things in Windows, you are really just telling Windows it's okay to use that space on the drive.  You usually can recover these things up to a point, until you overwrite those sectors.  Since it isn't anything illegal, just delete them and forget about them, the software is creating your problem, not helping it.

"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#9 AST1

AST1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

I would gladly just delete them if I could find them. Diskdigger offers no way to remove the file just recover it. Right clicking on it just shows the camera type used and size. I wish Recuva from Piriform could find these files,but they can't  because they have a nice way to overwrite the file you don't want. I'm convinced these files are somewhere. If there was a software to find every photo on the drive including free space that would work. I've yet to find that.

#10 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

I guess I just don't understand.  Why are you recovering files you don't want?  Just don't recover them.  Or..if you have recovered them accidentally while trying to recover something else,well...just delete them again.  If the photos are so bad that you don't want even the slightest chance they could be recovered, zero out the drive and reload the OS.

"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#11 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

I guess I just don't understand.  Why are you recovering files you don't want?  Just don't recover them.  Or..if you have recovered them accidentally while trying to recover something else,well...just delete them again.  If the photos are so bad that you don't want even the slightest chance they could be recovered, zero out the drive and reload the OS.

What he said!

#12 AST1

AST1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

Hey johngreen168. Your the man! I used your recommendations with removing those check marks etc in the folders file. I then reran ccleaner's wipe free space and the photos are gone. I don't understand where they were,but ccleaner must have been able to wipe those files once they were unlocked. I can't for the life of me figure how they got in some hidden folder though. At least at this moment this problem has been solved! I am a newbie from another Geek site,but I'm liking this one. Thanks everyone!

#13 johngreen168

johngreen168

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:07 AM

Glad that we can help :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users