Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"new" PC. Loving it, except that it randomly hangs on sleep or gives me a BSOD

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 CMCarlin

CMCarlin

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:46 AM

Ok, my last post ended up in the wrong forum.

Hi all,

I just bought this computer from a friend for a great deal. I reformatted everything and did a fresh install of windows. And then I started loading it up with all my favorite programs. Go me.

But, I've experienced 3 different BSODs and 2 or 3 different hang ups in sleep mode. What I mean is the monitor appears to be off, and there is no response from the PC to "wake up". It may not even be asleep. It just hangs there until I do a hard shut down.

I'm "sort of" tech savvy, but as far as this goes, I don't know where to start. The last BSOD, it was a kernal_data_inpage_error - NTSF.sys. I forgot to grab the stop code. I will be looking for one.

Anyway, attached is my hijackthis file.

Please, tell me what other info I can provide (log reports or anything). 

I hope to learn a lot by diagnosing what is going on with this computer.

Some more info on my PC

04.25.2013-08.45.png

*Moderator Edit: Hijack This log removed.  HJT logs are allowed only in Malware Removal Logs. HJT is rarely used as there are better tools available. If needed you will be directed to the proper forum. ~ Queen-Evie*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 April 2013 - 08:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CMCarlin

CMCarlin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

added info: 

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/o3OB3wYU84Exbiw0VNJ3o1s

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

Hi

"Ntfs.sys" error are commonly came from HDD complaints but we need more details before jumping to a conclusion.

Please download and install Who Crashed --> http://www.resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe

Run the program and click on  "Analyze" button. When program finishes analyzing, click on "OK". Then right click --> Select All --> right click and "Copy"

Copy the content of output window here.

#4 CMCarlin

CMCarlin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

unfortunately, I do not have a crash dump file present. It may be because of CCleaner? or advanced system care doing its routine cleanup on startup.

#5 CMCarlin

CMCarlin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

I have crash dump enabled, so I really don't know why it would not be there. Any ideas? I supposed I need to wait for the next crash?

#6 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

Something seems off with your RAM

8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 671MHz (11-11-11-29)

Unless you have it set low, or if you have an adaptive frequency change, that seems like a way low frequency and timing seems high. looking into it deeper it should be DDR3 1600MHz (9-9-9-24) (as far as I can tell, I could not find the exact model, but there was one that came up with 2 models, yours being one if them)

This doesnt account for everything but check these settings in the BIOS, I know with my motherboard it defaulted my RAM to 1333 when they are supposed to be 1600, this could be the cause of some errors.

Also with the use of the SSD I wouldn't bother with sleep mode, you'll save some power, and have nearly the same boot times with a properly configured SSD as you would putting it to sleep.

Edited by GreenGiant117, 25 April 2013 - 10:27 AM.

#7 CMCarlin

CMCarlin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:30 AM

Thanks, I'll start with looking that info up.

Regarding "sleep" mode. It turns out that I did not have sleep mode on. When I came to the computer, the monitor was off (I have it set to turn off), and there was no response from the computer. 

Hibernation is also turned off, yet somewhere above I see it is activated? I don't know.

Ok, so no need to put it to sleep? Only reason I do is to give the PC a break (no fans running, etc). Yes, the SSD boot time is amazing.

#8 CMCarlin

CMCarlin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

Queen-Evie - I see you deleted my HJT log, which is fine :D , but you mention there are better tools, so I am curious as to what they are? Thanks

#9 CMCarlin

CMCarlin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

Ok, so I did a little bit of searching. Others that have had their corsair sticks running at a similar speed, when it should be 1337mhz, reported it is working as intended, since you need to double the #. So my 667x2=1334. So this MAY be correct.

Still, I will be checking the bios after posting this. Here are some cpu-z screenshots to compare it to my processor (one post I found said the memory should be matching the processor, if it's capable of it that is).

one thing that concerns me is the FSB:DRAM ratio. 3:10 (memory tab in cpu-z) doesn't appear to be good, when I saw in one post you want a 1:1 ratio (after doubling the MHZ)

04.25.2013-11.43.png

04.25.2013-11.44.png

04.25.2013-11.43.png

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

I have crash dump enabled, so I really don't know why it would not be there. Any ideas? I supposed I need to wait for the next crash?

By default setting...Ccleaner considers .dmp files are "unnecessary" and deletes such as part of its "cleanup" effort.

Advanced System Care may also do the same thing.  I suggest uninstalling it since it's classified as an "optimizer/registry cleaner".  See below quote from wikipedia.

"Criticisms of Advanced SystemCare 5

Critics suggest that the program does not live up to its name, and compares poorly to equivalent free software. A significant percent of individuals that have installed the Advanced SystemCare software have reported computer problems and 'glitches'."

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.  Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

Per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Registry :

“The Windows registry stores all application settings in one logical repository (but a number of discrete files) and in a standardized form.  The registry contains important configuration information for the operating system, for installed applications as well as individual settings for each user and application. A careless change to the operating system configuration in the registry could cause irreversible damage, so it is usually only installer programs which perform changes to the registry database during installation/configuration and removal.  If a user wants to edit the registry manually, Microsoft recommends that a backup of the registry is performed before the change.  Editing the registry is sometimes necessary when working around Windows-specific issues e.g. problems when logging onto a domain can be resolved by editing the registry.  The Windows registry can be edited manually using programs such as regedit.exe, although these tools do not expose some of registry's metadata such as the last modified date.”

Put simply, the Windows registry is a central repository of information about all aspects of the

computer - in particular, its hardware, operating system, applications and users.

More per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner  :

“A registry cleaner is a class of third party software utility designed for the Microsoft Windows operating system, whose purported purpose is to remove redundant items from the Windows registry.

Registry cleaners are not supported by Microsoft, but vendors of Registry cleaners claim that they are useful to repair inconsistencies arising from manual changes to applications, especially COM-based programs.  The necessity and usefulness of registry cleaners is a controversial topic, with experts in disagreement over their benefits. The problem is further clouded by the fact that malware and scareware are often associated with utilities of this type.

There is a popular misconception that the value of registry cleaning lies in reducing "registry bloat". Even a neglected registry will seldom contain more than two or three thousand redundant entries. Bearing in mind that the modern registry may contain more than a million entries, the elimination of two or three thousand will not save any noticeable amount of scanning time.  Some registry cleaners make no distinction as to the severity of the errors, and many that do may erroneously categorize errors as "critical" with little basis to support it. It.  Removing or changing certain registry data can prevent the system from starting, or cause application errors and crashes

A poorly-designed registry cleaner may not be equipped to know for sure whether a key is still being used by Windows or what detrimental effects removing it may have. This may lead to loss of functionality and/or system instability.  While it is true that some registry cleaners are safe, these cleaners do not improve performance. The rest are a mix of snake-oil, actual malware, or dangerously powerful tools unsuited to non-professionals.”

For the reasons pointed out above and others…BC does not encourage/suggest that any member employ…a registry cleaner/optimizer

Louis

#11 CMCarlin

CMCarlin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

interesting

Yeah, I thought of getting rid of ASC6 - just to see.

#12 CMCarlin

CMCarlin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

ok so I woke up to a BSOD this morning. This was the OTHER BSOD that I've encountered.

attached are the whocrashed files.

edit: btw, I got rid of ASC6 yesterday :D

Attached Files

Edited by CMCarlin, 26 April 2013 - 07:17 AM.

#13 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

Hi

Can you reproduce the BSOD by opening any specific app ? . 'Whocrashed' output you posted shows a very generic error which is not very help full.

Can you upload the 'Dump' file located in 'C:\Windows\Minidump' directory.

#14 CMCarlin

CMCarlin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

Here it is:

#15 CMCarlin

CMCarlin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:02 AM

ok it didnt upload. 1 sec

ok it says im not permitted to upload this kind of file (.dmp). What next?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users