Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Not Connecting To Wireless Network Correctly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paracitefluke

Paracitefluke

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 08 April 2006 - 05:01 PM

I'm using an ACER Aspire 5002LMi. The router I'm usimng is D-Link Di614+. Everytime I connect to the wireless network, it works for the first 20 or 30 minutes, then I become disconnected from the network. The only way I can fix it is restarting or disable then enable wireless connections. I did most of the things that should be correct. But for some reason it connects, the icon for wireless connection on taskbar is green, but when it's disconnected it has the red x on it. Thanks for helping.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:11 PM

This, as I have found out, is a common issue among people who live close to their neighbors. I don't know if this is the case with you, but more than likely someone is using your wireless and kicking you off. Try making the wireless secure. If you need help, you can contact D-Link and have them run you through it. If this doesn't work, it may be something else.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:29 PM

Be sure you are using the most current driver available for your wireless card. Go to the manufacturer's website to download it.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 Paracitefluke

Paracitefluke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:47 PM

for some reason I can't do a windows update, it's asking me if I want to register or install missing items. I also am not sure of what wireless card I have in this laptop... I'll go check it out as well.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 16 April 2006 - 11:02 PM

You can get information on your router here:
http://support.dlink.com/products/revision.asp

Set your security to allow only the mac numbers of your computers.

You may be able to obtain information on the wireless card you have installed in your computer using the device manager.

What is Windows Update telling you to install?

Edited by Enthusiast, 16 April 2006 - 11:03 PM.

#6 Paracitefluke

Paracitefluke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:59 AM

You can get information on your router here:
http://support.dlink.com/products/revision.asp

Set your security to allow only the mac numbers of your computers.

You may be able to obtain information on the wireless card you have installed in your computer using the device manager.

What is Windows Update telling you to install?

I fixed it, it told me to install update files it couldn't find. But somehow I fixed it.

I also allowed only the mac numbers of the computers. I did everything that should be right on my router. It's just the wireless card. I think I might've fixed it now, but I have to re-check it again.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:22 AM

Installing the mac numbers would eliminate miscreants from stealing your bandwidth leaving it for your computers.

What did you do to fix the wireless card?

Also - you need to have ALL critical updates applicable to your op system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users