Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB 3.0 Device Recognized as USB 2.0 (Initially)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:11 AM

Hello all,

This is not a request for assistance; however, it is an FYI and something to try if you experience the same issue. Also, I am not going to identify specific devices because my research has revealed this is a (somewhat) common problem that may (or may not) apply to any given configuration, so here goes:

The Hardware in question: Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - (0100) Microsoft - using latest driver version 6.2.9200.16548 (03/01/2013)

The Problem: Some USB 3.0 devices are recognized as USB 2.0 devices when initially inserted into a USB 3.0 connector; however, once the computer is rebooted, the device is properly recognized as USB 3.0 and it will continue to be recognized as such until it is physically removed.

The Solution: Disable USB 3.0 Legacy support in your BIOS (if you have that option available). Once done, all USB 3.0 devices will be properly recognized upon insertion 100% of the time. 

Please understand that I am not trying to start a discussion or debate regarding my finding or my recommended solution; however, if you feel absolutely compelled to respond, then please do so but please remember that this post is only intended to provide you with something additional to try in case you run into a similar situation with your rig. 

Cheers

My research: Some individuals have conducted research on this issue and their findings suggest that this issue may be caused by inadequate power to the USB 3.0 connector and/or a 'babbling controller' on the USB 3.0 device itself. Their fixes include using a USB powered hub to fix the inadequate power situation and there was no fix offered for the babbling controller device (that I could find). Obviously, neither were the case for my fix so I'm hoping this will be something additional to try in case one encounters the same problem.

Edited by anyrepli, 25 April 2013 - 03:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users