Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

750GB Seagate External Hard drive - SLOW to load, eventually does not recognise

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rachelc

rachelc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:22 AM

I have a Seagate 750GB external hard drive and I am having a very frustrating problem. It doesn't do... anything. I plug it in to a USB port, and the computer seems to recognise it's there, because the screen shows it 'loading' (with the green bar slowly moving to the right of the screen within the 'address bar' in mycomputer) but it just slows down the entire computer and freezes up so that it cannot be used at all. It never loads in the end and I can't access any files on there.

I tried it on another computer which is a lot newer than my laptop and a lot faster (thinking that would make some difference) - but it presents with the same problem. A different cord did not help either.

PN: 9SCAN2-500

SN: 2GH7GTCP

DELL laptop Studio1537

Windows Vista

Processor: Intel® Core ™2 Duo CPU  T5900  @  2.20GHz 

It was working fine about 8 weeks ago, but for the last 6 weeks, I have been trying on my computer and my laptop, but it causes the same problem on both.

I know next to nothing about computers, so I am sorry if this is scant on details.. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 johngreen168

johngreen168

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:43 AM

Do you plug your external drive in the same USB port as before? Sometimes, if you put it in a less power usb port, it does not work.

#3 rachelc

rachelc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:30 AM

Hi! thanks for your reply. I have tried it before and it doesn't work any better in any of the others on my computer. I tried it again, just to make sure, but to no avail - it just keeps loading and loading and loading, and freezing everything up before it has a chance to finish.

Thank you for your suggestion :)

#4 johngreen168

johngreen168

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:59 AM

Actually, another common issue is when you use your external drive, do you move it here and there. If you did, you may acidentally damage your external drive (because external drives are design not to be moved). If so, I think the only way that you can do is to take it back and claim your warranty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users