Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system restore and volume shadow copy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

hey everyone, i am curious if volume shadow copy needs to be enabled in windows 7 in order for system restore to work? i have read that VSC should always be on, but on my laptop it was not. if i needed to restore back to one of my restore points say, 6 months from now, and i didnt have VSC on, would i run into trouble trying to use my restore point? just a question out of curiosity

thanks,

alex

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

The Volume Shadow Service (VSS), sometimes referred to as Volume Shadow Copy or Volume Snapshot Service, is a service that allows you to restore certain system files to an earlier point in time. VSS creates most of the files it needs in the System Volume Information Folder which can be found on the root of each volume. This folder is locally accessed by System Restore when reverting to an entire previous set of shadow copies called Restore points. When the system needs to be restored, files and settings are copied from the shadow copy to the live volume used by Windows 7 (and Vista).

Volume Shadow Copy is a service that creates and maintains snapshots (shadow copies) of disk volumes in Windows 7 and Vista. It is the back-end of the System Restore feature, which enables you to restore your system files to a previous state in case of a system failure (e.g. after a failed driver or software installation).

What you should know about Volume Shadow Copy/System Restore in Windows 7 & Vista (FAQ)

Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider in Windows 7
System Restore and Shadow Copy
How Volume Shadow Copy Service Works
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 acerts04

acerts04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

thank you for the input sir, I kind of understand what vsc is, but what I am curious about is if it should be enabled? and if it was not enabled, would system restore fail? also, do restore points go away over time? is there anyway to not make them disappear over time?

thank you

alex

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

Microsoft recommends not to disable the Volume Shadow Copy Service or you will lose System Restore and recovery functionality.

How can I disable VSS?

It is possible to disable the Volume Shadow Copy Service by using the Microsoft Management Console. However, you should not do this. Disabling VSS adversely affects any software you use that depends on it, such as System Restore and Windows Server Backup.

Volume Shadow Copy Service

This is the information provided by Microsoft in the Volume Shadow Copy Services (local) provided in the Component Services Extended tab.

Description: Manages and implements volume Shadow Copies used for backup and other purposes. If this service is stopped, shadow copies will be unavailable for backup and the backup may fail. If this service is disable, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

By design System Restore runs in the background and when monitoring is enabled, will automatically create a new restore point every 24 hours (system checkpoints). Restore points can also be manually created by the user at any time. When the allotted disk space is reached the oldest restore point will be purged on a first in first out (FIFO) basis. Otherwise, restore points over 90 days are purged automatically in order to keep the volume's usage within the specified amount. All restore points will eventually be deleted after the time specified in the RPLifeInterval registry setting is reached or earlier if allotted disk space is insufficient so it is not possible to create a permanent restore point.

Understanding System Restore in Windows 7 (FAQs)
Understanding System Restore in Windows Vista (FAQs)
Understanding System Restore in Windows XP
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users