Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will these work together?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 binavik

binavik

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

Ok so I've been planning on building my own computer for the longest time. I've gone through plenty of guides on the internet to know exactly what I need to get. I've been trying to figure out for the last week if the parts I've chosen would work together or not. I looked through the details of all the products and I'm pretty sure that they will all work together, however I'd be very grateful if someone could tell me what they think.

Here is what I've got so far:

DVD: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136259

Case: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119256

Hard Drive: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136770

Mother Board: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138369

RAM: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313353

Power Supply: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104169

CPU: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113283

So if someone could tell me what I might be missing, if there is anything you would change or if the parts won't work together that would be amazing. Thanks in advance for any help and if you need any more info let me know.

Thanks again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

It is all compatible but i would change the power supply to this because it is modular which will keep the case tidy and Seasonic is well known for building rock solid power supplies apart from that everything looks good.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 binavik

binavik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I'll go ahead and change the power supply.

#4 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:34 AM

I would say with the case you have you may want to get this :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138366 motherboard, its ATX vs Micro ATX meaning you have 4 RAM slots instead of 2, and double the PCI-E slots, 2 more SATA connections, more USB 2 connections, expanded audio, etc, and its only $10 more, and if you're ever planning to add more to it I think it would be worth it

#5 binavik

binavik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

I would say with the case you have you may want to get this :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138366 motherboard, its ATX vs Micro ATX meaning you have 4 RAM slots instead of 2, and double the PCI-E slots, 2 more SATA connections, more USB 2 connections, expanded audio, etc, and its only $10 more, and if you're ever planning to add more to it I think it would be worth it

I went ahead and switched it but do you think that I would need the extra SATA connections or the PCI-E slots for a home computer? I mean it really isn't going to be doing much more than web chatting or writing up a paper. I don't mind switching as I am nowhere near my price limit. 

#6 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

it may not be needed at the moment but its nice to have, if you ever wanted to add another hard drive, add a wireless ethernet card, another video card anything like that it would be nice to have the space for it rather than having nothing left after one upgrade.

For the 10 dollars spent now you may save 80 bucks on a whole new motherboard in a couple years if you want to add a few things, things you could add, Bluray drive, SSD, second hard drive (for redundancy), multicard reader for SD/XD etc, with just those that brings you to 6, so you have no more slots, I know for me 320GB is nowhere near enough space, I have over 4 times that much, granted part of that is games, but a lot is videos and photos, so a second, or third hard drive as data drives may be in order over the next couple years.

Just my thoughts on it, I mean if you needed to save space and were getting a micro-atx case then yea the one you selected is great, but if you have the space and its not much more why not get it just in case?

#7 binavik

binavik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for the information. It's just my first time building my own computer and I have a few family members lined up asking me to make one for them so I'm just trying to learn as much as I can as to not mess anything up. I appreciate the help.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

What exactly is your budget, and what are you going to be using this PC for?

3939.png

#9 binavik

binavik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

What exactly is your budget, and what are you going to be using this PC for?

I was hoping not to spend more than $500. I won't be doing much with it, mostly writing papers watching a show or streaming shows to my PS3. I just don't want it slowing down after a month of use like my old computers. And if it means anything, the reason I picked a smaller hard drive is because I have 1.5 TB external hard drive at home. Does any of this help?

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

I just wanted to make sure you weren't going to be gaming with this and expecting stellar performance.  If you don't want it to be obsolete, I would suggest getting a different APU.  The Trinity APU's use the Bulldozer design which means that your chosen APU uses only one Bulldozer module.  A Bulldozer module is similar to taking two cores and linking them together, they are not two independent cores, but they aren't one large core either.  Unfortunately, AMD marketing lists the cores in a Bulldozer module separately.  At a minimum, I would get the AMD A8-5500 Trinity 3.2GHz.  You also need an operating system.

3939.png

#11 binavik

binavik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:04 AM

Ok I switched them out. I'm pretty sure I won't be getting any games for this computer. At most my little brothers might want to get League of Legends but this should be able to handle it. As for an operating system, I already have both windows XP and 7, I just don't know which to go with. However I am leaning more towards 7 because XP is getting a little old. 

Also, they are out of stock of the RAM mentioned in my first post so I was going to switch to this

Edited by binavik, 29 April 2013 - 12:16 AM.

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

Are those unopened OEM or retail versions of Windows?  Keep in mind that the FX design, and by extension Trinity, is brand new and requires a scheduler update in Windows to perform well.  XP doesn't have this and 7 has it as a hotfix, however, such an update is best achieved if the operating system is designed from the ground up to accommodate it.  Windows 8 is one such operating system.

As for the RAM, you could get one stick of Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333.

3939.png

#13 binavik

binavik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

XP is retail from a while back and Windows 7 is unopened OEM. So XP is a no go. Windows 8 does look pretty awesome, if you had a touchscreen monitor. Also this computer isn't for my exclusive use, the rest of my family will be using it and they are not very good at learning new things. That was one of the reasons I was considering installing XP, so they would have something they knew how to use from the get go. But Windows 7 isn't too big a jump from XP as Windows 8 would be so I guess it won't be too much of a bother.

But just to clarify, XP won't work at all so I shouldn't even bother and Windows 7 will work from a fresh install, but after installing a hotfix it will work better?

I also bought the OS 10.8 update for my laptop a while back, do you think I should go with hackintosh?

Also thanks for all the help.

Edited by binavik, 01 May 2013 - 09:26 PM.

#14 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

Windows XP may work, but without the scheduler fix, 7 will work, but will work better with a scheduler fix, 8 will work best and out-of-the-box.  I upgraded my parents to Windows 8 from 7 and they normally don't take change well.  They actually like it, more so once I explained the Start screen in Windows 8 on a typical desktop is essentially nothing more than a launcher.  I use 8 almost exclusively on the desktop, rarely going to the Start screen.

A hackintosh requires very specific hardware to use, you need to keep this mind to use.  I say go with a Trinity-based Windows PC.

3939.png

#15 binavik

binavik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

If it won't make too big of a difference in performance, I think I'll just go with Windows 7 for now and upgrade it later. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users