Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What IS this? (Connection errors galore)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 warplane

warplane

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

I hope this is the right place to put this, I'm not exactly sure what's causing the problem so it might go under a number of things.

I'm on a Dell, and I'm pretty sure it's running Home Basic.  On startup the other day, I noticed the Windows "Welcome" screen was taking longer than usual to go away.  The desktop itself - taskbar and all - was completely black for a few minutes after first being turned on.

I got a few errors after that.  The first one was "could not connect to the 'system event notification service' service." 

The second one has to do with my internet, and the fact that it's not finding any networks whatsoever and thus preventing me from getting online. "Connection status unknown.  The dependency service or group failed to start."

I've never seen either of these messages before so I checked online for possible solutions. I got a lot of suggestions to open the command prompt and type in "netsh winsock reset" which I did. It indicated that it worked but required a restart to complete. When I restarted, the laptop crashed consistently on startup, at the welcome screen. Tried it again today and it managed to load my desktop (and faster, which looked like good news to me) but then crashed again. I can't check the details of the crash report cuz it's not actually giving me the report, since it crashes before it shows up.

All I know is that the error is "STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0x00000000, 0x88385A48, 0x00000000)."

With the BSOD bit, I can only fix that by booting from the last known working startup, which is the one before I applied the winsock reset.  But then I'm back to everything else not working, even if the computer boots up.

Also, windows explorer stopped working somewhere down the line. Any explorer-related thing that gets opened immediately freezes and crashes. So I can't access a number of things that are important for some of the fixes suggested online.

I tried using the SFC /Scannow prompt as well but it says "windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation." 

I can't run chkdsk C: because the action won't even start (and yeah, I'm requesting it run upon startup. It just doesn't run).

I've lost track of the fixes I've tried but each one is giving me some different error.  I thought it might be a virus (I do have MalwareBytes, Spybot and Avast), but the only thing that was caught was a Trojan, which got removed.  Someone told me that I have a "defective RAM module" and that it would require a replacement to fix, but I don't know enough about computers to say if this is true or not.  Is my laptop toast?  It's not worth much and thus I'm not particularly willing to spend a lot of money fixing the problem; I was hoping I wouldn't have to resort to that.  Any help would be appreciated, even if it's just confirmation that yes, I need to replace my RAM.

Edited by warplane, 24 April 2013 - 07:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log

List Installed Programs

List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link.  Do not copy/paste data from the report.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users