Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows update doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 deepthinker

deepthinker

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

When I try to use Windows Update, it says computer has to be restarted; if I restart, it just goes back to the same thing. I had a recent infection and got it cleaned up with help on here.   I've also tried the various windows update repair tools, and they haven't solved the problem. Can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:56 AM

Hello :)

This is a problem with very, very many possible causes. We must start at the most common, and keep persevering until we hit upon the one which applies to your computer. Please stick with me.

People will look online and find simple solutions for you (such as the Windows Update reboot registry key). Whilst this is a cause, it isn't a *likely* cause. Please understand that I have not unintentionally overlooked it, but we are better off starting with more common, but more advanced solutions.

Most common solution to this problem: transactional logfile corruption (don't worry, you don't need to understand that :P)

So, please start an Elevated Command Prompt: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-elevated-command-prompt/

and copy and paste in the following:

fsutil resource setautoreset true %systemdrive%\

attrib -r -s -h %SystemRoot%\System32\Config\TxR\*
del %SystemRoot%\System32\Config\TxR\*

attrib -r -s -h %SystemRoot%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine\*
del %SystemRoot%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine\*.tm*
del %SystemRoot%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine\*.blf
del %SystemRoot%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine\*.regtrans-ms

and press enter after the final line if necessary.

If you are asked if you are sure, type Y and press enter.

You may get some errors on some of these lines. Please just ignore them (they are normal), and let me know whether this resolves your problem.

Thank you!

Richard

One of the very few people in the world who is truly enthused about Windows Update and how it works...

Yes, I'm a bit weird :P

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

Please download and install Windows Repair (All in one) at this site.

To open the program click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png.

Click on All Programs.

Click on Windows Repair (All in one), this may be listed as Tweaking.com.

If you are running Windows Vista, 7, or 8 right click on Windows Repair (All in one)  and then click on Run as administrator.

Notice:  You will need to disable your antivirus in order to run this program, for this reason you should run this while off line.

Go to Step 2 and click on the Do it button to allow CheckDisk to run.

windowsrepairstep2-1_zps08aed02b.png

Go to Step 3 and click on the Do it button to run System File Check.

windowsrepairstep3-1_zps935b7603.png

Go to Step 4 and click on the Create button under System Restore.

windowsrepairstept4-1_zpseb336401.png

Go to Start Repairs and click on the Start button.

Important: Do not make any changes to the check marks.

For those running Windows 8 please note that  Reset Registry Permissions is not checked by design.

When the page below opens click on the Start button.

windowsrepairstartrepairs-1_zpsa179850d.

Please copy and paste the Windows Repair Log in your next post.  This log (_windows_repair_log.txt) is located in the following folder:

*  64-bit systems file path - C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs

*  32-bit systems file path - C:\Program Files\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs

Copy the file path for your version of Windows (32-bit or 64-bit), click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png and paste it in the Search all programs and files box.

Click on Logs.

Click on _Windows_Repair_Logs.

Copy and paste this log in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

The challenge is on (this is a game I play with some of my staff at other forums to get people thinking: predicting logfiles).

My prediction: error code 0x80071A91 (ERROR_RM_NOT_ACTIVE)

We shall see :P

One of the very few people in the world who is truly enthused about Windows Update and how it works...

#5 deepthinker

deepthinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

I tried the  transactional logfile corruption fix, but it didn't work.  I tried the Windows repair tool 2x before, and it didn't work either.  I will try it in the meantime again.  thanks for your help.  I do appreciate it. 

#6 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:08 AM

I tried the  transactional logfile corruption fix, but it didn't work.  I tried the Windows repair tool 2x before, and it didn't work either.  I will try it in the meantime again.  thanks for your help.  I do appreciate it. 

Then you, my friend, might have the dubious pleasure of exploring the insides of the registry :P

However, first please re-start your computer if you haven't already. I forgot to mention that you must after my last fix. If the problem still remains:

Click Start > search for regedit, and press enter.

I do not want you to make any changes at all, simple report to me what you find. Use the little arrows next to the keys ("folders") to navigate, and in the right hand pane see the values. Please work through and answer all of my questions.

Please navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\

and let me know whether the following subkey (folder) exists: RebootPending

Now navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\

and let me know whether the following subkey (folder) exists: RebootRequired

Now navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\COMPONENTS

and let me know whether the following value (right hand pane) exists: ExecutionState

Just the next three most common causes...

Thank you!

Richard

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

Please take note.

What niemiro is suggesting is a registry edit.  If a mistake is made during the edit it can result in your computer being inoperable.

If you decide to proceed you should back up your registry first.

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT

• Please download Erunt.
  • For version with the Installer:  Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer.
  • For the zipped version:  Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERUNT.exe

Edited by dc3, 28 April 2013 - 08:53 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 deepthinker

deepthinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

The 2 folders are there.  However, I do not see "Execution State" value under  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\COMPONENTS

#9 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

Hello again :)

Thanks for that. In this particular case, it is best to run the SURT before making any more changes.

• Download the System Update Readiness Tool from Microsoft ->here<-. Save the tool to a convenient location as it may be necessary to run it again.
• After the download has completed, double-click the file and wait while it initializes.
• Click Yes to begin installation.

Once it has completed, please upload the following file: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

Thank you!

Richard

#10 deepthinker

deepthinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.0.6002.22574
Package Version 18.0
2013-04-30 18:33

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
Seconds executed: 3347
 No errors detected

#11 deepthinker

deepthinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

any more thoughts?  thanks.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

Please refer to post #4.

#13 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:13 AM

any more thoughts?  thanks.

I'm really sorry, I missed the notification to your reply. This isn't my normal forum, and I somehow managed to drop this thread. I'll try to make sure it doesn't happen again.

The error count of zero from SURT is a good sign, and means that we are clear to delete those two reboot values.

Please click start, search for regedit, and press enter.
Navigate through to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing
Right click on the key, and select Permissions...
Click Advanced. Navigate to the Owner Tab. Select your username from the list, and click OK.
Back to the original window, select Users from the list, and put a check in Full Control: Allow.
Click OK. All those extra windows should now be closed.

Now right click > rename the RebootPending key (folder) to RebootPending.bak.

Finally, again right click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing > Permissions... and take the check out of Users: Full Control: Allow.

Next navigate back to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\ and rename the following key (folder) RebootRequired to RebootRequired.bak.

Let me know whether that resolves your problem or whether we need to check StoreFlags next.

Richard

#14 deepthinker

deepthinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

I followed the instructions; unfortunately, it didn't resolve the problem.  Now it says "Windows could not search for Updates." 

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

The last thing that Fireman4id explained to you after cleaning your infections was "with these type of infections some service become corrupted beyond repair."

You need to address the corrupted files, editing the registry isn't going to correct these files.  In order to correct this you should do a repair installation.  This will not effect your data or non-Microsoft programs.

Do you have the installation disk for this operating system?

Please post the make and model of this computer and the version of XP (Home, Pro., ...).

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online with the computer Speccy was run on.

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

Edited by dc3, 10 May 2013 - 09:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users