Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

disk boot failure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tarfful

tarfful

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

Hi guys.

Have had a small issue for a couple of months with my pc starting to boot then switching off and rebooting itself when it gets to the windows start up, when it re starts it gives the message disk boot failure. after a couple of times switching on and off it would boot up fine. This maybe happend a couple of times a month so no real big deal (backed up data). thought it maybe the hard drive on its way out.  

But now it wont boot and gives disk boot failure all the time.

On the bios screen it will not detect the HDD. Primary ide drive - None. The only things listed are the cd drives.

I have taken the hard drive out and tried in another pc and it booted up to a NTFS screen testing disk, it went through the process had lots of orphaned files and then went into windows no problem. Thinking this may have cleaned the HDD i put it back into my pc and straight away got disk boot failure, with no drives detected. Now not to sure what the issue maybe.

All the fans come on so there seems to be power.

I havent tried re installing windows yet. didnt want to cause more problems.

It is an old PC but has been a work horse with no issues other than a graphics card update.

Should i just let it die gracefully? lol.

Windows XP

AMD Athalon 4200 duel core

Maxtor hard drive 250gb

Asus sli delux eayz.  mobo

Any thoughts would be greatfull.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:19 PM

Most of the time with your symptoms that is a hard drive that is dying - you would need to test it using a bootable testing utility such as seatools for dos for a more definitive diagnosis.

I know it worked once in your other machine but I would hazard to say that was a one time thing and the drive would start acting up in that machine as well.  It is possible could be the cable or the motherboard of the original machine but I see hard drive failures much more often.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

Well...I'd run the Maxtor hard drive diagnostic before concluding anything.

Louis

#4 tarfful

tarfful
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:08 AM

Have tried a new HDD, still not detected it.

Next step will try cables.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users