Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone know if this will work?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 scare

scare

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

Hello all. I have small form factor Emachine (i know don't say it) i have been making some upgrades to being as; graphic card, 4G ram, and a 350w psu, that has changed my windows 7 experience index from a 3.2 to a 4.3. I have now been searching the net for a processor upgrade and have found this. I now have a AMD sempron 145 2.8 ghz 45w single core AM3 socket (938 pin) processor. I have found a used AMD Athlon ll x2 240e duel core 2.8 ghz 45w AM3 socket (938 pin). Now does anyone know if this will work for me? I believe that acer was making the Emachines and now Gateway is making the small form factor machines. I've looked at AMD's web site and can't really tell what will work if anything. I'm looking at used stuff because the 240e and others that were in the Emachines arn't being made anymore. Thanks in advance if any help can be given.    scare

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

It is super difficult to say - OEM (in your case Emachines) bios support of different processors is very spotty.  Like in my experience of putting different processors in Dell desktops was pretty terrible - half the time it would say unsupported processor - the other half the time it wouldn't boot at all.  It really depends on how many models they made with the same motherboards which will not be published anywhere that is easy to access.

It might be worth a try but don't be surprised when it doesn't work.  Check the refund policy of place where you are buying processor.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 24 April 2013 - 04:09 PM.

#3 scare

scare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

Hi and thanks for the input. What you say is just about all i can find on it. I can get the 240e for $29 and that includes shipping. I don't really know much about it. Could you tell me anything it might hurt like the MB or something by just trying it and if it doesn't work just swap um back. thanks scare

#4 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

It is highly unlikely to damage the motherboard.  I would think at the worst you have to take the bios battery out so it loses configuration data.

But as with any situation the end result is on you (don't go into anything thinking there is no risk).

That price is low enough for me that I would probably try it - but then again I also have a box of old intel processors laying around.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

So long as the new CPU is physically compatible with the motherboard, it should be safe to at least try it.  However, if the BIOS doesn't take it, your stability, or just being able to POST, may be affected.  CPU's depend on being physically compatible with the socket, but, beyond that, it is up to the motherboard manufacturer to have a compatible BIOS, not Intel or AMD.  As you get to the higher end of CPU's, another thing to watch out for is the supported wattage of your motherboard.  Some boards may not be able to supply enough power for the CPU.  Given the low wattage and price of the AMD Athlon II X2 240e, this may not be an issue.

3939.png

#6 scare

scare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

Hi and thanks guys. I'm going to give it a shot. After the install I will give a reply here as to what happened. Thanks agin to all.  scare...( it will be about 5 days before know)

#7 scare

scare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:21 PM

Hey yall all I can say is , is that it did not work. It didn't hurt anything tho, its running. Thanks agin scare

#8 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:52 AM

Sorry bout that ... processor upgrades are one of the hardest parts of purchasing a retail machine. Purchasing a motherboard alone will provide you with a little more upgrade-ibility but higher overall cost.

Thank you for writing back.

#9 scare

scare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

I am going to try a home build and call it "one piece at a time". I've been doing a lot of reading up on it and I am sure I can do it, with a little help. See y'all  later.               scare

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users