Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resizing photos on Linux?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 level2

level2

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

I now have a laptop using Linux. I can find no way to resize photos. I need a simple photo program. Can  you help? Thanks

Richard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

GIMP => Image => Rescale

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#3 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:05 AM

Hi,

I use the command line utility convert. convert -resize 30% reduces the file size to 30% of the original. It is very powerful: http://www.imagemagick.org/script/convert.php
They also have a gui interface for it, if you prefer doing it through an interface.

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 level2

level2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

Pane free, when I type that in: Sorry no file to match your request. I do have Gimp but maybe some of the package has been deleted or was never added. Can it be added?

I have Gimp image editor, but it looks like it is for painting or drawing.

Richard

Not sure how to find or use command Line.

Edited by level2, 26 April 2013 - 05:15 PM.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

When I attempt to download an image from email, I'm asked what I want to open it with.

The default is Image Viewer-- Eye of Gnome. That has the ability to resize out before

saving if you want.

If I have scanned an image with my printer and intend to print it, then I use the HP printer software to resize.

If you want to do more image editing than just resizing then Gimp is a good choice.

I'm using Ubuntu.

What is the distro that you have installed?

EDIT: I download pics from my camera and view in Shotwell Photo Manager. Those pics can be resized there, too.

Edited by buddy215, 26 April 2013 - 05:53 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 level2

level2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:04 AM

Greetings, I found a ,How to, and have been able to resize with Gimp. Thankyou friends for taking the time to post. 

Richard

Edited by level2, 27 April 2013 - 12:07 AM.

#7 res45

res45

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

I use a little program called gThumb on my Linux box,not as bulky as Gimp and works well for most any basic photo applications.  Below is a screen shot when it's the edit mode.

gThumb1_053_zps735207fc.jpeg

Edited by res45, 16 May 2013 - 08:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users