Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Stay Connected

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Shueisha

Shueisha

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:37 PM

hey,

i got a big problem, im running on xp pro SP2, i am a major user on the internet (forums, chat ect all the time) and now on my computer i cant stay connected for mor than 10-15 mins, any ideas on how to fix this.

i have already reinstalled firefox and there is no change.

btw this problem is with both IE and firefox.

thanks

Shueisha

Edited by Shueisha, 08 April 2006 - 03:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:49 PM

Shueisha,

It would help us a great deal if you told us what type of connection you use since it happens on both browsers. Do you use dialup, DSL, Cable, Satellite etc? Knowing your connection type will help greatly. Also have you checked with your ISP to discuss this with them to see if there are known issues they are aware of?

Be (Bandwidth Uptime) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Shueisha

Shueisha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 05:05 PM

i am running on a wireless connection ISP is oki because my laptop works in the same house on the same connection

its wierd because all the messengers on the pc work and limewire just not firefox and IE

Edited by Shueisha, 08 April 2006 - 05:06 PM.

#4 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 08 April 2006 - 05:50 PM

More than likely its a few things. First, try cleaning out your temporary internet files. (open internet explorer, go to Tool > Internet Options... and click on Delete Files and Delete Cookies). If this does help, what kind of access point are you using? What type of laptop? Is it a built-in wireless adapter or put in separate? This information would be a great help.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:34 PM

limewire

DANGER, DANGER, Will Robinson!

You very well may be infected. I have yet to meet a computer user that uses Limewire that hasn't infected their computer with downloads. Peer to peer networking is high on the list of the most popular ways to get infected.

I would recommend following the Preparation Guide to posting a High Jack This log. You may not need to actually post a log, however. If after completing all of the steps in the Preparation Guide you continue to have issues, post a HJT log as instructed in the Preparation Guide.

PREPARATION GUIDE

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 09 April 2006 - 06:34 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 Shueisha

Shueisha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 05:01 AM

preperation guide link is dead

btw i am using an external wireless card to connect

Edited by Shueisha, 09 April 2006 - 05:10 AM.

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 06:36 AM

preperation guide link is dead

btw i am using an external wireless card to connect

One thing you might try is to download and install the latest driver for your wireless card. Sometimes this is just a driver issue.

If you care to look for malware on your computer, here is a working link:

PREPARATION GUIDE

See if you can relate to this for further evidence that you are infected:

There are usually, but not always, 4 stages to being infected.
  • The computer exibits buggy behavior, such as warnings appear, or some program doesn't always work right, etc.
  • The computer starts to run slow: takes longer to start, takes longer to shutdown, when you click on something it might delay a second or two before responding.
  • You start to have connectivity problems. You can't get on the internet, or you keep getting bumped off the internet. The internet connection works real slow, etc.
  • The computer won't boot.
I suspect you are at #3. If this list makes sense to you and you have already gone through stages 1 and 2, then this might be further evidence that you are infected with malware.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 09 April 2006 - 07:03 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#8 Shueisha

Shueisha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:23 AM

malware then because the others have happened

#9 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:51 AM

Hello, More than likely the person who suggested the infection of your system from using Limewire is correct. Every time I use it or should I say, "Used to use it" when opening up a zip file and trying to use the executable it (My Anti-Virs AVG Free) pops up and tells me that the file is a virus of some sort. I have reason to think that you DO NOT use any antivirus, anti-spyware or other programs like these. If you do you DO NOT keep the data files up to date which is as bad as not using the programs. I would suggest starting to use them and expect a certain amount of trouble when starting off, you might even have to re-install your operating system but this is a worst case thing.

On the chance that this might be a problem with your wireless connection I would suggest contacting your wireless tech support, yes I know you said, "My other computer is working fine." But the one computer is not and they might find something wrong with the setup on it, so please call them.

If you do not know how to setup anti-virus and firewalls please have some one help you it will go much faster and easier.

#10 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:09 AM

If you still get kicked even after cleaning out your computer and ridding it of all malware, most likely you have some close neighbors tapping in to your wireless network. This happened to me and I kept getting kicked off when I noticed that nobody had their laptop on in my house, yet the busy light on my router was flashing. I secured my network and have not been kicked off since. It's recommended to secure your wireless network regardless of problems with it. Having a secure connection is always a good thing. If you need help securing it, you can contact your access point manufacturer and ask them for support. They will run you through the entire thing. Also try locating your access point a little more towards the center of your house so people won't be able to access it. Even if just securing your connection helps your problem, it is definitely necessary to clean up your computer of malware.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#11 Shueisha

Shueisha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:29 PM

i figured it out zone alarm had put me on an internet lockdown because i had a hacker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users