Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not able to clear Google Chrome's address bar... VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 notinfallible

notinfallible

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:01 AM

I have been trying everything suggested by countless websites, including Googles own support site, and I'm very disappointed because every single thing that I found says the exact same thing..  Every single post pertaining to the; address bar, cookies, cache, predictive service, omnibox, and clearing browsing data, that I could find on the internet, is just an echo of every other post that I could find on the internet.

In Chrome, even with "Incognito Mode", when I start typing an address into the address bar, it brings up a list of sites that I have recently visited.  I have cleared all my browsing data from within Chrome, used CCleaner to delete history, cache, cookies, etc,..... I've cleared IE's browsing history, restarted my computer about three-hundred times in the last couple of hours.  I've opened up Chromes devoloper tools, went into the settings, and disabled the cache.

I don't all of these things and more, a minimum of twenty times each, and nothing has came close to clearing the address bars memory of every single website that I have visitied.

I provided a spreen-capture of what I'm to clear. 

screen_zpsa3f39533.jpg

This screen capture was taken after HOURS of supposedly clearing my browsing data, cookies, and cache over and over and over again.

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong!  This should be such a simple thing to do, but trust me, this is anything but simple. 

Thank you in advance for any help.  Don't be shy, if you are confused about something I mentioned, just ask me questions and I'll try to explain better.

Edited by rotor123, 25 April 2013 - 07:53 AM.

The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being said.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 notinfallible

notinfallible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

I apologize for the duplicate post.  I wonder why it posted it twice?  Strange days.

#3 notinfallible

notinfallible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

I should probably add some specifics about my computer....

Windows XP Professional Sp3 - 600GB Hard drive - 2GB Ram

Internet Explorer 8 - Google Chrome

Avira FreeAntiVirus - Malwarebytes Free - Super AntiSpyware - Adwcleaner

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

How about this...Turn off your Google Web History

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 notinfallible

notinfallible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Nope, I believe the link is referring to search history using using google as a search engine, but I tried everything that it suggested a couple of times, and I did a few hours ago at that same page. 

I'm trying to get rid of the history that is, for whatever reason, locked into the address bar history.  Whenever I click on the address bar, and start typing the URL, a whole bunch of websites pop up just underneath the address bar right after I type the first 'W'. 

Thanks for trying, but unfortunately this didn't resolve the problem.

Below is a screen capture from immediately after trying the techinique outline in the link you provided...several times.

untitled424_zps6c72300a.jpg

As you can probably see, immediately after typing ' W ' a couple of sites pop up, and if I continue typing, it changes the websites display with every key that I push.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

I am going to ask others to look here.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,724 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

Take a look here: http://rogerbell.blogspot.com/2013/03/google-chrome-removing-predictive-urls.html

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,468 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

Also direct from google: https://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95656

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

Thanks hopefully it will work.

#10 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:00 AM

Have you tried this:  Open Chrome Settings and go to the Search options.  Remove the tick mark from 

"Enable Instant for faster searching (omnibox input may be logged)"

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#11 coffeeguy1

coffeeguy1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

Hi  notinfallible.I tried Goolgle Chrome before  and I know what you mean.  This is what I had done. Go into the place where you can install addons.   In the search area type search box.   Click add, and you;ll get a small magnifying glass in your toolbar.  I had that and it woked real nice.  Been a bit since I used Goole Chrome, so I hope I said it the right way.  Hope that's what you were looking for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users