Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question on CPU Heatsinks and Fans

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Drachen

Drachen

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:19 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to replace my CPU fan in my computer. For some reason it's wearing out the bearing and I need a new one before it dies. I see that the fan on the heatsink is a 70mm fan. I'm unsure whether that means I need a fan that is at most 70mm or it's completely irrelevant. There aren't that many 70mm fans out there, and some pretty good ones I like are 80mm and 92mm, can I fit them in my computer?

(My case is a Thermaltake Versa II and my MB a MSI 760GM-P34 (FX))

Thanks,

Brad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• Security Colleague
  • 350 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

You need fan that fits you your processor socket...

What is the model of your processor?

#3 Drachen

Drachen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

My processor is an AMD Phenom x4 965, and is socket AM3. So any socket AM3-compatible fan will work on my processor? Regardless of mm?

#4 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

Yes

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

Fan or cooler?

If a cooler needs a 70mm fan, it generally needs a 70mm fan.  Some coolers can run different sized fans, most cannot, it just depends on the cooler.  I keep 70mm fans in stock because a lot of stock OEM coolers require them, and 80mm fans will not physically fit the cooler.

As far as the actual coolers go (fan and heatsink), any AM3 compatable cooler will fit the socket.  Whether it will fit in your case or clear your RAM is always a question.  I think we have a terminology breakdown in this thread.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 Drachen

Drachen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:03 PM

Fan or cooler?

If a cooler needs a 70mm fan, it generally needs a 70mm fan.  Some coolers can run different sized fans, most cannot, it just depends on the cooler.  I keep 70mm fans in stock because a lot of stock OEM coolers require them, and 80mm fans will not physically fit the cooler.

As far as the actual coolers go (fan and heatsink), any AM3 compatable cooler will fit the socket.  Whether it will fit in your case or clear your RAM is always a question.  I think we have a terminology breakdown in this thread.

What I am trying to obtain is a cooler, the whole package, not a replacement fan for the heatsink.

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

Good case.  Lot of choices. You have air cooling as well as water cooling options.

You can run about any cooler you want.  Room for a big double radiator up top as well.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 Drachen

Drachen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:19 AM

Do you think I'd be able to fit in a Cooler Master Hyper N520? That one really caught my attention due to it's great amount of air flow and low noise level. I just am unsure whether or not it will fit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users