After 8 days into my billing cycle my cable internet provider sent me a message I was at 80% of my 60gb per month limit. While at work for 8 hours I came back and the computer was just on and running no obvious programs. I had used another 3000 mb of bandwith. I installed a bandwith monitor and there are few programs with many connections. Also could minecraft be suspect? I would leave it logged into an external minecraft server overnight to let crops grow and harvest in the morning. I'm using a laptop with the wireless disabled and the i'm the only user connected via lan cable to my cable modem which does not have wireless.
I have attached a image of the bandwith monitor after only 8 minutes of use after install. I was aware gamersfirst live was recently installed, but I can't remember what game installed pmb.exe. I guess those free to play games are really "free" to play afterall. The ones that concern me are System and Service Traffic and they don't show a location. Upon monitoring System, I have seen it go as high as 641 connections. I don't run any peer to peer software except those "free" game clients like pmb and gamersfirst. I also don't run and torrent software that I know of. I think I have some infection but I don't know what it would be downloading or uploading. I was going to install zone alarm to lock out connections but I will wait for instructions or scans to see what I have running that I don't know about. For now I will just unplug the internet cable when I'm not online.