Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP downloading data constantly when connected to internet svchost / ekrn?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 duplexscrubber

duplexscrubber

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:25 PM

Hi,

Recently this week our three affected computers experienced the freeze and hang whenever we start using any web browser or navigate to other program windows, especially when the ethernet cable is plugged in to connect to internet. The strange issue is when I disconnect the ethernet cable the PC works smooth and normal.

Obviously, I thought this has some connection with the recent task on last Friday - last week I burned CDs of data in main multimedia PC (not those three affected computers) then test out the CD auto-run data (I burnt the local website files, autorun.inf and start.bat into CD) in those three PC that I mentioned above.

When I scanned main multimedia PC with Eset anti virus and quarantine some files affected with trojan/virus (win32 / autorun. M worm) including the autorun.inf and magic iso maker (the software I used last week to create ISO from the CDs that I tested out).

Then this week starting from Tuesday, I realised the strange issue in the PC when we boot the system and began to use the web browser or appliction, the PC hangs for some unknown reason and found out that the PC seems downloading data through LAN VERY CONSTANTLY in incrementally large size (from 1000 to 2,000,000 packets) so I thought this may be the isse causing the computers to hang, even we couldn't open the Outlook 2003 as it stops in the middle of loading data aset (showing status: data binding or loading 2 data sets..)

I have tried to scan in-depth deep scan the computers with ESET, Malware Antimalware Bytes, AVG, Search and Destroy, then fixed the problems and errors found in these anti virus/anti malware programs, but even after doing these antivirus scan, the PC still hangs mainly due to possibly the processes taking the CPU (multiple svchost entries in Task Manager with one of them in top of list showing 120,xxxx k memory usage.

Any ideas and recommendations on how to rectify this issue and prevent high bandwidth usage and fix the computers to run normal not hang or freeze anymore?

Your help and assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 24 April 2013 - 05:53 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users