Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Favorite USB 3.0 Flash Drive (for the price)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:59 PM

Hello all,

I recently purchased a SanDisk Extreme 16 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive SDCZ80-016G-X46 and I couldn't be happier. In fact, this little thingy is actually an SSD drive and you can actually extract SMART data from it as well. So, here are the benchmarks:

I used ATTO SSD Benchmark Software:

190 MB/s - 4k read

60 Mb/s - 4k write

Not bad for a price of $27.37 USD w/free shipping; yes?

Anyway, here is a link to Amazon if interested:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Flash-Drive-SDCZ80-064G-AFFP/dp/B008AF383S

NOTE: You have to click on the 16GB version after you get there

And here is a link to the benchmark image I posted at Amazon.com (mine is the only ATTO image shown):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B008AF383S/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_dav/183-9609436-5089145

Cheers!

Edited by anyrepli, 23 April 2013 - 11:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

The seems rather pricey, on Newegg you can get a 16 Gig corsair USB 3.0 for around $20 or a Patriot Memory for about $15

Does this flash drive come with the standard bloatware of most Sandisks?

I had a couple USB 2.0 Sandisk drives that were SUPER slow, like transferring things was measured in tens of KB per second (this was on multiple computers, from the day I got them, even with reformatting and getting rid of all their crappy software), I take it they have improved since then?

Personally I go with either Patriot or Corsair (had a 32 USB 3.0 Corsair but alas someone bent it too much, that thing would transfer a 4 gig file in less than a minute)

#3 anyrepli

anyrepli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

Hello Green Giant117,

Thank you for responding. This drive does come with some kind of software suite but I didn't even bother to look at it because I just simply reformatted the drive to NTFS as soon as I inserted it and that took care of the bloatware (as you refer to it). Now, your comparison of Sandisk drives (in general) is like trying to compare apples with oranges because they couldn't be more different. This new USB 3.0 Sandisk 16GB is a true SSD and if you don't understand why that makes all the difference in the world, then I would ask you to research the issue yourself. Also, it is not fair to compare a 32GB hard drive with a 16GB hard drive because there will be an increase in transfer speeds that can be correlated directly to the size (and associated internals) of the flash drive. An even bigger contributing factor would be where are you reading the information from or sending it to? Now, if you are interfacing with an old SATA drive, you flash drive benchmarks would be much slower that if your were interfacing with a high-end SSD because the old SATA drive would actually serve as a bottleneck. AND finally, just to compare your reported speeds with the flash drive I recommended:

Corsair 32 GB USB 3.0 - 4GB transfer in about 1 minute (your recommendation but don't know if that was a read or write)
Sandisk 16GB USB 3.0 - 4GB transfer (read @ 190MB/s would take 21.55789 seconds) and (write @ 68.2666 seconds)

Also, I did a price point check on the following Corsair 32GB flash drive at Newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233294

The first thing I noticed is that the maximum speeds are considerably slower (80MB/s read and 40MB/s write) than the smaller Sandisk I recommended and it costs a bit more. However, I think you were "spot on" with your 4GB transfer analysis because it would take approximately 51.2 seconds (as compared to my 21.55769 benchmark) to do a 4GB read but it would take almost 2 mintues to do a 4GB write (as compared to my 68.2666 second benchmark) to that device... so your test must have been a read. Now, to be fair in my analysis, you do get more storage capacity on the Corsair but that's all you will get because the Sandisk is "noticeably" faster than the Corsair (as reported by the manufacturers and tested by "both of us") and the Sandisk is actually cheaper and includes free shipping. Anyway, thanks for your comparison and response. One final note that a calculator really comes in handy when comparing benchmarks.

Cheers

Edited by anyrepli, 25 April 2013 - 07:50 AM.

#4 anyrepli

anyrepli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:07 AM

As a follow note, the Sandisk 32GB and 64GB versions are capable of astonishing transfer rates that no other flash drive can touch for the price (as far as my research goes). Examples of these astonishing speeds are available by clicking on the image link I provided in the previous post. If you go there, you will notice that some have reported "write speeds" in excess of 200MB/s (and read speeds in excess of 500MB/s). Now, in my case, I believe the bottleneck was actually my 60GB SSD which benchmarks at around 200MB/s read and 70MB/s write, so, accounting for transfer overhead, maybe my Sandisk could have went even faster if I had a high-end SSD. Anyway, there is very little chance that the 32GB "mechanical" Corsair could even come close to those speeds. I first discovered this while reviewing benchmark comparisons of popular flash drives an the 32GB version finished first and the 16GB version finished second:

http://www.whoratesit.com/Best-Flash-Drive/Comparison/1

And my primary intention is to report that it really deserves those ranking based on actual "real world" end-user testing.

OK, I'm done now...

Edited by anyrepli, 25 April 2013 - 08:18 AM.

#5 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

There is no indication that this is an SSD as you mentioned, it does not state the technology used, I have looked on their website and a few other places, SSD's just use multiple channels, for the most part (other than specialized equipment) uses the same technology, just more simultaneous read/writes, which in USB is limited to a maximum of 4 channels, and SSD's start at 8, so by definition it is NOT an SSD, it is a flash drive, but this is just mincing words.

My statement about Sandisk was merely stating that EVERY Sandisk flash drive or memory card for that matter, has been much much slower than the rated speeds, I would have 2 flash drives, USB 2.0, plug them into the same port, transfer the same file and the Sandisk would take 4-10 times as long, believe my I did my research at the time, I sent back a Sandisk flash drive 3 times to Sandisk for free replacements because I thought they were damaged (their rates were actually slightly higher rated than the Transcend I was using for comparison), formatted in multiple file formats (NTFS, FAT32, exFAT) all were extremely slow. I have heard mediocre reviews of all their SSD's when I was looking for one, citing slower than rated transfers, write cliff effects, and occasional not accepting SATA III when they were rated for it, the occasional raving review of someone going from a SATA I drive to SSD on SATA III, but you discount those for any brand.

I think the main thing is you will never need anything that fast, unless you plan on gaming from the flash drive, even then, that's not good for the flash drive, you can transfer the entire contents of the flash drive in less than 2 minutes, why spend extra? (you can get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220653&IsVirtualParent=1 one and be done in less than 4 for almost 10 dollars less)

As far as the Corsair that I was referring to I do not know the transfer rate ratings that it had on it, but I know that when transferring things I saw upwards or 120MB/s for almost 10 seconds when transferring information onto it, that was coming from a 7200 RPM SATA III drive, transferring an 8 GB file.

If someone were buying one that was 64, 128, or more then yes it would be worth spending a little extra on a faster one, but at 16? save your money I would say.

I was not trying to argue with you, just merely stating my experience and opinion.

#6 anyrepli

anyrepli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

Hi GreenGiant117,

Thank you for your second response because it was much more informative than your first; in that, you gave a few logical reasons (other than speed) as to why you preferred the Corsair. Anyway, my responses were based on purely a speed and price comparison; however, you do bring up a good point when you say "who needs all that speed?" However, I was just one of those individuals that didn't want to plug in a new USB flash drive and be totally disappointed with the benchmark results. Anyway, thanks for your alternative recommendations and I apologize if I came across as "argumentative" because I was only trying to make an honest comparison based on your recommendation. Anyway, I will not be responding to any new posts (in this thread) because I think I've said enough already. Again, thanks for the follow-up response.

anyrepli

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users