Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 black screen with blinking cursor (Pihar.c)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pequigah

pequigah

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron with Windows 7 which was infected by what KasperskyTDSSKiller called the Pihar.c rootkit.  I selected the 'cure" option and was prompted to reboot the laptop to complete the removal process.  Upon a reboot, the Dell logo appeared and then the black screen with a blinking cursor.  After researching similiar situations in the Bleeping Computer forums, I created a Windows 7 system repair disc from a clean machine but have been unsuccessful in getting the machine to boot from the CD.  Unfortunately F8 nr F12 don't do anything when pressed.  The initial Dell logo screen suggests that F12 should open the boot options but it doesn't recognize any of the F keys.  The only thing I can do is press Ctrl Alt Del, which restarts my computer.  Any suggestions on how I can get past the black screen would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pequigah

pequigah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

Can someone please provide some assistance. I've tried booting from a boot disc as well as a recovery cd and can't get it to boot from disc as the F buttons aren't being recognized. Thanks.

#3 Jintan

Jintan

• Malware Response Team
  • 531 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

Hello pequigah,

Right off I want to suggest you don't press down and hold keys, such as F12, but tap them until you get a beep each time (the computer telling you "Okay, okay, I heard you the first time").

For the disc, did you try F2 at bootup, to access the BIOS and change the boot order to the CD-ROM? Just some comments so we can get started here, and fix your system.

Ad eundum quo no duck ante iit

#4 pequigah

pequigah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

Thanks for responding. I've tried tapping both the F12 (boot options) and F2 (setup options) until they beep and neither are being recognized. Those are the only two options provided on the initial startup screen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users