Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Desktop Computer will not boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alee56

alee56

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

Hi - I have an HP desktop computer that is suddenly not booting. Not sure what the kids did. When I went to re-boot the computer, it defaults to a black screen with the words:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device

or Insert Boot media in selected Boot device and press a key.

I tried to start it in safe mode but this screen is all I get. When I press a key, it repeats the above message.

Can someone help me?

Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WalkingAtNight

WalkingAtNight

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:08 AM

- A possibility for the above could be tampered settings of your bios causing it not to detect your hard-drive any longer.  Depending on your computer, at reboot you might be able to press:

-- F2 to enter your bios setup.

-- ESC to enter bios setup

-- Check for the available options on your computer to enter setup.  Loading default settings should allow proper detection of the hard-drive.

-- If setup detects a hard-drive then:

- Another possibility could be that the hard drive has been wiped clean of an operating system (will need to install an Operating System).

-- If setup doesn't detect a hard drive then:

- Another possibility could be hard-drive became disconnected (check connection) and/or hard-drive is damaged.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

What is the model of this HP?

Look in the BIOS to see if your hdd is seen there.

What is the manufacturer of your hdd?  You probably will need to look inside the case to find this information.  While you are the just check the connections for the data and power at the hdd.  Before you touch anything inside the case touch the metal of the case to discharge any electrostatic charge in your body.

Edited by dc3, 24 April 2013 - 11:44 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 alee56

alee56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

Hi - I could not check the bIos as the screen only opened to the black screen. I took out the hard drive and purchased a SATA HDD & USB docking station ($49). I have been able to transfer all of my data from the old Hard drive to my laptop. I am new to this and still am trying to figure out why the old computer would not work if I could still transfer data.  Any idea?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:20 AM

At this point we really need the model of this HP.

The BIOS is separate from the operating system and you should be able to boot into it unless there is a problem with the graphics.

What happens when you turn on the computer, fans spin up, LEDs light up,etc.?

Do you have another monitor you can try with this computer, or another computer you can try the monitor with to determine if there is a problem there?

Do you have the installation disc for your operating system?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users