Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can only boot in safe mode no icons in regular mode

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 hylsnan

hylsnan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

My computer is a HP Probook 4710s running windows xp professional w/ SP3

When I started it up it was very slow, did not make the chiming welcome sound and none of the icons or taskbar came up.

I hit ctrl+alt+del and explorer.exe was there but clearly not doing anything.  Only 21 total processes were running.  I rebooted in safemode and all of my icons appeared.  I tried a system restore but it did not work.  I can reboot in safemode with networking but the following error message appears.  "Runtime Error!  Program  c:\ProgramFiles\Hewlett-Packard\IAM\Bin\AsGHost.exe    This application has requested to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the applications support team for further infomation."  I had contacted microsoft's tech support who thought the problem might be a corrupted user profile, so we attempted to create a new one and copy the files over to it, but the copy never worked and would fail part way through saying, "cannot access files" and then stop.  So those profiles were deleted and now I'm back to not being able to boot up with just the plain old default ADMIN user.  I don't want to shut down my computer since I'm worried if I do, it will stop booting up in safe mode too.  It's done that before, it cycles through all the files and then hangs up for about 3 minutes and automatically reboots.  Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

Duplicate, I moved your earlier post to Am I Infected...please pursue that topic and do not start another topic on same issues.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/492515/windows-will-not-start-up-properly-system-restore-not-working/#entry3033303

This topic is closed to avoid confusion.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users