Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 PSUs suddenly failed - caused by motherboard fault?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gavrd1

gavrd1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:19 PM

I've been reinstalling an old machine with an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe motherboard with XP which had problems of the screen scrambling then freezing following by rebooting itself.

First off I did a full reinstall of windows back to the factory settings of which it still had the same issues.

It had the original PSU in it which I tested the power supply with a tester and although the 5v indicator was alerting as just being outside the warning voltage range (it was reading 5.4v and the higher limit being 5.3v) it was powering on ok.

I then rebooted, updated the graphics card drivers and everything ran fine for the rest of the evening. Came to switch on this morning and no power at all.

I then tested the PSU and it had no life whatsoever on my power supply tester other than a quick single flicker of power then no life.

So I then replaced the PSU with another equivalent one and the graphics card with a similar one. Everything booted fine, new graphics drivers went on ok, xp service pack 3 installed fine and ran throughout most the day installing updates etc without problems.

When running speedfan and other diagnostic software all voltages looked ok.

I went out tonight after leaving it running updates still to come back to see that it had switched off again by itself. It would not power on again and then when I tested this PSU with the power supply tester it too had no life whatsoever.

Is it possible that any other component such as the motherboard could be causing the power supplies to die? Or has anyone heard of anything like this before?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

What brand/model of PSUs?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 gavrd1

gavrd1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:25 AM

Original was an hiper hpu-3s350 (not great I know but it was the original one for that model computer) and the replacement one I tried was a spare dell hp-p2507f3p (I have this minute realised it is just a 250).

The devices powered from the molex are the 2 dvd drives, 1 hard drive, front and rear cooling fans and then the floppy drive.is it possible this is too much for 250?

upon inspecting the motherboard I can see no raised capacitors or anything like that and the system did run for several hours yesterday before failure.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:58 AM

After reading the spec/reviewss on those PSUs.........you have a PSU problem.

Try a better class of power supply.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users