Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer became a spambot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sanias

Sanias

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

I get ~50 mails every day from my mail host about "message couldnt be delivered to recipient". I do not send any emails. I contatced the mail host, and they confirmed that the emails are being sent from my account, and I probably have computer infected with spambot. Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and Windows Essentials Security didnt show any threats though. What do I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

I suspect the first thing to do is change your password and make it a strong password and see if it makes a difference

You say you do not send any emails

--- Does that mean you really do not send any emails at all or you are not sending out the ~50 emails a day that you mention?

--- Do you have an address book and are some of the email addresses included in the list of emails that are being sent out

--- In other words, there might be a total of maybe 55 messages which in this case there are 5 email addresses taken from your address book!

--- The reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to figure out whether or not your address book has been hijacked and/or the spambot is just using your account for their own purposes

I think it would be good for us to know who is your mail host?

--- Did your mail host make any recommendations on how you can thwart the spambot in addition to ensuring whether or not your computer  is infected?

--- Do you have filtering capabilities so that you can manage which emails are allowed to even come in?

#3 Sanias

Sanias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

I meant that I am not sending any of the emails I get as "not sent". I don't have an adress book, all emails are sent to strange abroad mail accounts (most of them French, I live in Poland), none of which I know. My email host is polish website "onet", they did not give any advice, aside of "turn auto logging off and delete e-mail password from your browser" - (I didnt have that, I always log on manually), and warned that I should take care of the problem, or my account can be blocked.

I changed my password to a stronger one, as you suggested, we will see if that helps. I do not have filtering capabilities.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Your machine could be a Zombie, (working for another machine)

I think we should get a deeper look. Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.

Let me know if all went well.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users