Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Run Norton Live Update

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rougehott

Rougehott

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 08 April 2006 - 01:26 PM

Hi,

About a week ago Intalled Spygaurd, Spyblaster, and Ewido to further secure my PC. Previously, I was running only Norton, Adware, Spybot, and Kerio Firewall (free version). Anywho, I just tried to run Nortons Live update and I got a message to check my connection to the internet as I was unable to connect to download the updates. However, I'm able to connect to the net no problem. I've never run into this before, so I'm thinking that I must have set a setting on the Spyguard/spyblaster to prevent liveupdate from running. Unforutuantly, I don't know enough about the programs or how to fix this. Also, I had followed a tutorial to not allow Active X to run on my PC without warnings. Everytime I log onto AIM i get a window that asks if I want to run Active X plug-ins. I'm wondering if this is related. Please help! I don't want to get a virus! :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Lauren

P.S. I'm running windows XP prof.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:35 AM

Hello Lauren

None of the programs you mentioned should interfere with Live Update except possibly your firewall settings. Check them to make sure Kerio is not blocking Live Update.

There are a number of Live Update troubleshooting tips here and here.

Edited by quietman7, 09 April 2006 - 07:38 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Rougehott

Rougehott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:53 AM

Hi There,

Well, I thought I was forgotten because I never recieved an email that you had replied to my post :thumbsup: OK, so I checked Kerio and the settings are functioning to allow LiveUpdate.

I checked the first site you mentioned and I for some reason when I click on the links, they don't work. I located a topic that had the error message I'm seeing but when I click on it nothing happens. Not sure what is going on.

I copied the path (maybe you can check it out?): http://search.symantec.com/custom/update/q...ext=par&x=0&y=0

As for the second site you recommended, I didn't see a topic that addressed the issue I'm having.

Please advise. My defiitions haven't been updated since 4/6/06

Oh and BTW on 4/6/06 I decided to uninstall/reinstall Norton hoping that would do the trick. I'm pretty sure I could run Liveupdate after the reinstallation (I can't remember--so sad) but I can tell you that I can't run it now.

Please Advise.
Thanks,
Lauren

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 05:46 AM

Error: "LiveUpdate was unable to connect
Error: "Unable to connect to host . . ."
How to Replace Damaged LiveUpdate Files

Download the newest version of LUhere and install it.

You can also try Symantec's Technical Issue Support which requires you to search using the exact product and version number.

#5 Rougehott

Rougehott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:17 PM

Hi,

Well, I tried the Liveupdate patch and that didn't fix it :thumbsup:

But I did follow the instructions to manully download the definitions from the symantic site. That did work! :flowers: So at least m definitions are up to date.

Awhile ago I followed the instructions to uninstall/install Liveupdate, but halfway through the process I got stuck and couldn't perform one of the tasks. That is what prompted me to uninstall the whole program and then reinstall. I guess I will have to try that again.............

Also, the links you sent for the error message, they weren't the exact error message that I'm seeing.

The one I'm seeing is "This product was aborted because LiveUpdate was unable to execute this products processing needs."

I definitely have enough hard drive space on my computer.

I have another question though, when i clicked on Liveupdate in the control panal, what is the Update Cache Folder? It is possible there isn't enough space?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 03:33 PM

Glad to hear you were able to manully download the definitions get them up to date. I can't find any links to the exact error message your getting.

What happens if you go to Start > All Programs, launch NAV and try to run live update from within the app. itself?

Also try this: go into C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate and make a shortcut for LUALL.EXE and put it on your desktop. Does that work or are you still getting error messages?

#7 Rougehott

Rougehott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 04:51 PM

When I do both things you suggested LiveUpdate opens, and seems to run. I see the blue status bar moving along but then it stops. There are red circles with Yellow "X"s next to a bunch of the different products/componants I'm trying to install. There are green check marks next to only two items: Norton definiton update and security software update. There is a button to click next, and if I click "next" again it looks like it is downloading these two products but then after each one there is a status of "failed"

I have no idea what to do!

I also did some googling trying to find the error message I'm seeing and I could not.

P.S. I'm running 2005, not sure if that is important.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:03 PM

I think its time you contact Symantec Support and provide them with the information you gave me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users