Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Phenom ii x4 965 BE or FX Series

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 christofudge

christofudge

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

Hey guys,

A quick Google search came up with this forum and it seems like quite the friendly place. My problem is I am unsure on what to do to my current PC build. I am not doing any serious gaming on it at the moment, but I would like to make the switchover to PC gaming when the PS4 and new Xbox come out later this year. I want a rig that will be able to play brand new games on pretty good settings. 

My current specs are: 

AMD Athlon ii x2 250 @ 3.00GHz

4Gb DDR3 RAM

500Gb HDD

Radeon HD 5850

What I wanted to know is should I upgrade my current rig by simply switching out the athlon for the phenom ii x4 965 BE and then invest in a better graphics card later down the line? Will the Phenom last me a year or two, or maybe even more? Or do you guys think I would be better saving my money until closer to the time and investing in a new AM3+ mobo with an FX series chip?

Any input would be greatly appreciated guys! 

Thanks in advance! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

I had that exact CPU on an ASUS Motherboard, it runs most things just fine, but I recently upgraded to the FX-8120 (lowers the windows score due to 965 being 3.4GHz and the 8120 being 3.0 GHZ) and I have noticed an improvement, my system is more stable and runs smoother, especially with the recent update to windows that actually allows it to use all 8 cores.

if you want to be able to play games for a couple years on this rig your best bet would be to go with an FX series, either a 4 or 6 core if you dont want to spend the money on an 8 core (though I got my 8120 for a little over 100 on a huge promo so not that expensive), I know this means upgrading the motherboard, but the way I see it is when I upgraded mine (last things to upgrade are video card and monitors) it will be the last upgrades for a few years at least, so spend 90 on the 965 and potentially need an upgrade in a year or two, or spend 150-300 on a quad or six core processor and motherboard that will last a good 3-5 years... yea in a year or two youll only spend 100-200 on a processor and motherboard but still it ends up being about the same.

Also you'll probably want to get another 4GB of RAM (only 25-30 bucks) if you're planning on serious gaming in the near future.

#3 christofudge

christofudge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

Yeahh you've got a good point! Thanks for the advice and the help!

I think I should just better get saving! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users