Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Onboard LAN disappeared, PCChips M825G v9.2A

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Blaine B.

Blaine B.

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

So I was working on my Father's system, attempting to clone his old drive to his new IDE drive. Well, the clone seems to have copied everything 100% but the bios couldn't find the boot sector on the new drive. Still boots fine from the old drive.

So I was monkeying around in the bios. I reset the bios to the defaults, and then suddenly, the onboard LAN quit working! If I go into device manager, show hidden devices (using the command prompt set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1) it shows that the onboard LAN is "not connected"

So I deleted the device.....and it isn't being found again!

If I remove the CMOS battery and clear the bios back to default, on the initial boot it shows "ethernet device" in one of the bios menus. However, it still isn't being found in Windows XP. When I reboot and go back to the bios, the "ethernet device" has disappeared from the bios menus.

What happened? I'm not sure how this problem could have occured simply by setting the bios back to the default values.

System specs:

PCChips M825G version 9.2A motherboard
AMD Socket 462 dual core processor
ATI HD AGP video card
Creative PCI sound card
512 mb RAM
Windows XP Home Edition

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blaine B.

Blaine B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:53 AM

I used the Seagate tool (Acronis) and that cloned the drive quickly and perfectly. Pulled the other drive out and booted up on the new drive. The computer is back to it's old self....it isn't sluggish anymore! It's not the fastest, obviously, but it still works and is perfect for my dad. I'm the type of guy, if it's still working properly for your needs there's no reason to get rid of it.

As for the ethernet......APPARENTLY it turned out to be a conflict between the onboard ethernet and the PCI DIAL UP MODEM. As soon as I took the secondary PCI card out and reinstalled the modem, the onboard ethernet disappeared again.

I'm not sure why that conflict just occured now, after I reset the bios. That dial up modem has been installed in that system for years now, ever since I put that system together for him.

Maybe some sort of IRQ conflict? Who knows. I usually put dial up modems in everything I built because I had them lying around, but they never ultimately never get used.

So everything is great....computer is working better than ever with the new 300gb Seagate IDE, and the only thing missing is the dial up modem.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

Thanks for letting us know.

I always just disable the modem in the BIOS settings, I haven't used dialup in a lot of years :).  No point in loading a driver or having Device Manager reflect the lack of a driver.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users