Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replace the motherboard

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ssgt.usaf

ssgt.usaf

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

I have a pc that I want to replace just the motherboard.  Do you have a link to directions on what needs to be done?  I know that my hard drive will need something, because when I had this motherboard repaired, I used a different one and had to use a different hard drive programmed for the different motherboard.  

What I would like to do is make a backup (not sure of the word to make a complete copy of my hard drive) of my hard drive and then put it back on the drive after the new motherboard is installed.  

I searched the forum for "replace motherboard" and "motherboard replacement", but the responses did not cover my query.

Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 07 May 2013 - 12:32 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

if you create a backup of all your data and a list of your programs all you need to do is install windows normally then transfer all your information back onto the drive and there you go.

If that is not an option then you will need to replace the motherboard, turn the computer on, uninstall and reinstall drivers (as the new board will need different drivers), then you will have to transfer registration of your copy of windows to the new motherboard, this is done on the phone typing in a TON of numbers they read to you. and that should do it for you.

#3 ssgt.usaf

ssgt.usaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

Oh.  I thought I could make an image (?) and then install the motherboard, then return the image to the hard drive.  The fact that the motherboard needs other drivers is a pain.  When I used a different one before, it would not even boot so I could change the drivers.  I had to use a different hard drive.

I guess I'll just back up my documents and such.  It's just that I have at least 40 downloaded games that I will have to redownload and install.  groan...

Thanks for the help. 

Oh, where is the topic about the best freeware for computers?  I searched, but couldn't find it.  It was saved as a favorite, but somehow got lost.

#4 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

You can create an image then put it back on the hard drive but that would achieve the same thing as just plugging the hard drive into the new motherboard, starting it up and reinstalling drivers.

Im saying you dont NEED to make an image, just boot it up like normal when you connect the hard drive to the new mother board and all your programs will be there, all your documents, games etc, all you have to do is correct the drivers. There are ways (programs) to get rid of the old drivers and make sure that all the new drivers are correct, but thats just a few google searches to find.

#5 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

Although that might not be the preferred way, I have had success by creating an image of my current hard drive (Windows 8) and storing it on an external drive. I then used the Windows 8 repair tool to restore the original image to a new blank hard drive and it worked. Now, windows 8 has a great catalog of drivers so maybe I can contribute the success to that database. The only caveat to this process is that your hard new drive will be partitioned exactly as your old and it must be larger than the old drive or the image cannot be copied. Keep in mind that I only tried this once and it worked (for me) on Windows 8 PRO. However, I would not try this using unlike drives (eg, old spindle vs new SSD) because this could result in a severe alignment issue on the new SSD.

OOPS: Please ignore this post. It does not apply to the OPs situation. Sorry for the confusion!

Edited by anyrepli, 23 April 2013 - 09:38 PM.

#6 ssgt.usaf

ssgt.usaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for all the information.  Maybe I'll just build a new pc and give this one to a needy family. 

:)

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

<<I have a pc that I want to replace just the motherboard.>>

It would probably be easier to try to give useful info...if we knew something about the system...that you intend to replace the motherboard on.

Manufacturer/model would be good...current motherboard would be good...current RAM would be good.

Replacing a motherboard often means buying new/different RAM.

Louis

#8 HalfBreed

HalfBreed

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:24 PM

Well I received my replacement MB, It appears to be the exact same as the one in the dead computer will need to change fan and CPU from old to new, I've never gone this deep into a computer, Hopefully with time and taking pictures of the insides hopefully  it will go smoothly once I get to it. Wish me luck.

HalfBreed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users