Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Dimension 8300 will not recognize wireless mouse or keyboard

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EddieG59

EddieG59

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

I was on my computer last night and suddenly my keyboard and mouse stopped working.  I replaced the batteries on both and tried reconnecting to the receiver following the protocol (pressing the reset button on the device and within 15 seconds pressing the button on the receiver).  No luck.

1) I took the receiver, mouse, and keyboard and was able to use them on a difference computer, so they check out.

2) I tried different USB ports on the Dell and could not get it to work

3) I tried a wired USB mouse on the Dell and it did not work

Since I have turned the computer on and off trying to troublshoot this, I can only get to the initial login screen but I can't interact with the computer.  I think if I can interact with the computer I have a chance of troubleshooting and fixing this, but for now I am dead in the water.  thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL twice at the welcome screen and you will get the classic logon. Once you get logged on, use your keyboard to navigate.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

Hi,

You say you tried a USB wired mouse, but I have once or twice run into computers running XP SP3 that wouldn't boot with a USB mouse - it had to be a PS/2 connection. You could also try using a wired keyboard just to get communication with your computer. The last time was actually quite weird. It would only boot with a PS/2 mouse, but once it was running I could unplug that mouse and use a USB one. As the computer was about to be scrapped - I only had it to recover the owner's data - I didn't bother tracking down the cause of this.

Assuming you can get it to work with a wired keyboard - USB or PS/2, that doesn't seem to matter - I would suggest uninstalling the drivers for your wireless units and re-installing them, then trying again. It might also be worth your while to check the manufacturer's web-site for newer versions.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users