Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slowdowns, Adware, Bsod's On A "clean" Xp Install - Where Do I Start

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Roland6543

Roland6543

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 08 April 2006 - 12:25 PM

I'm not sure where to start.

I have 3 networked home PC's. My personal (main) PC started to get BSOD at least daily. I decided to reformat and reinstall everything since I believe this to be good housekeeping at least yearly. Anyhow, after reinstalling, I got frequent slowdowns. I also had problems running Zonealarm 6 (true vector shutdowns and Trend PC Cilling shutdown). I have now settled on AVG and zonealarm 5.5. My computers are also behind a router/firewall.

I took precautions and scanned with ewido, adware se, spybot and trend housecall. I cleaned out all the tracking cookies out but noticed that Housecall was also identifying ADW_SE and TRAK_SE as malware/greyware. A google on this got quite a few hits but no specific confirmation on whether these were a threat.

Also, I noticed processes such as svchost and spoolsv we sometimes taking up 99% of CPU resource, virtually locking up my computer (which is an Athlon 64 3000+ so it should be pretty fast). Also, downloads from the web and files transferred between my PC's were frequently being reported as corrupt, and some installation programs would hang.

Since this was a fresh install I was confused. At this stage a really dont know whether I have a software issue; driver issue; hardware issue, or if something on my own network keeps re-infecting me.

So I decided to go through the same scanning routine using ewido, adware se, spybot and trend housecall on all 3 PC's, fixing everything that was found except for ADW_SE and TRAK_SE. Another puzzling thing is that on one of my PC's trend housecall wouldnt even run.

I have a hijack this log for the 2 PC's - should I post them, or troubleshoot other things first?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 08 April 2006 - 02:26 PM

If you already have Hijackthis logs for posting, post a log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, not here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. Do separate posts for each log and make sure you include a note that they are for differenct computers. Otherwise the Team may conclude you are posting two logs for the same computer.

It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy. Please be patient as they are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have not been replied as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response, a team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users