Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows will not start up properly System Restore not working

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 hylsnan

hylsnan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

I have Windows XP Professional w/ SP3 on HP ProBook 4710s

When I went to boot up it was very slow, the lovely start up music did not chime and when at last it did boot there were no icons.  I booted in safe mode and viola icons appeared.  I did a system restore and no icons, I tried restoring to an earlier date still no icons.  I went back to a few months ago and it would not restore.  I called microsoft and they said it could be a corrupted user profile.  I told them I didn't even have a user profile, but they had me create one nonetheless and try to move everything over to the new profile.  My ADMIN profile has now vanished and the two new profiles they had me create do not work, it sits on the "welcome" screen and doesn't change.  What can I do to fix this?

I'm typing on another computer and my  computer will no longer boot in anything but safe mode, no network, no command prompt.  Am I toast?

Edited by hamluis, 23 April 2013 - 12:20 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hylsnan

hylsnan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

One more note, when I click the Log On to Credential Manager button it lists my two created user profiles but not the ADMIN.  When I try to log on as either of the new profiles the following error message appears: "The system was unable to initiate the interactive logon process with the following diagnostics:  The system cannot find the file specified.  Verify that your system is up to date with the latest Windows updates.  If the problem persists, please contact your system administrator."

#3 hylsnan

hylsnan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

I managed to get my computer to boot up and run in safe mode w/ networking which is how I'm now functioning.  I have lots and lots of work that I need to get done though, so this is not going to work for me.  Any ideas of what I can do to get my computer to actually boot normally?  If not, how do I go about reinstalling windows?  This is a HP ProBook 4710s and did not come with any installation disks of any kind.  It came straight from HP with everything already installed on it.

please help

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

Received following PM:

""Hi Louis,

Thank you so much for replying to me, it's greatly appreciated. 

Unfortunately I had to get my comp back up and running super fast since I use it for my work. 

So I went to another tech forum.  It was indeed a snarky malware in my system. 

Everything is lovely and working perfectly now.  Had to go through once everything was finally cleaned up and create a new system restore point and delete all of the older ones that said snarky malware was lurking in.

Thank you again for responding to me though.  I'm not sure where the thread is but it can be closed.

I have a laptop I recieved from a friend that has some major issues, so when I get the time to sit down with it, I will be back in touch.  It for certain has lots of malware on it, and is an XP professional system.  When I do have time where should I post regarding it? 

many thanks,

hylsnan"

Since OP has resolved, this topic is now closed.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 April 2013 - 05:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users