Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need to install 8 gb memory on desktop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 aabill

aabill

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:04 AM

I would like to install 8 gb of memory on my desktop. Currently limping along on 512 mb.

Crucial.com recommends

• Operating System
    Win XP3
  • CPU  AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ Family
  • Motherboard MS-7309 (CPU 1)
  • Ram DDR2 Size 512 MBytes
  • Storage WDC WD200BB-00DEA0
  • Video Card NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

Hi, Most likely Your Windows XP is 32Bit as 99.99% of Xp are.

That means that You will only see approx 2.75 to 3.5 Gb of that memory usable in windows.

If it were my computer I would either upgrade to 3 or 4Gb of memory or add the 8Gb and start over with a 64Bit Windows 7. There is no upgrade path from 32Bit windows to a 64Bit windows that does not require a clean install.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

Hello aabill,

That's way too much money! Send me a private message because I can send you a 4x1GB set (eg, 2 sets of 2x1GB) of ddr2 667MHz RAM for free (if you are willing to pay a few bucks for postage). I just retired my old Dimension 8400 but before I did, I bought these 4 sticks, and was using them for the past 6 months. See here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231108

Edited by anyrepli, 23 April 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#4 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

That means that You will only see approx 2.75 to 3.5 Gb of that memory usable in windows.

If it were my computer I would either upgrade to 3 or 4Gb of memory or add the 8Gb and start over with a 64Bit Windows 7. There is no upgrade path from 32Bit windows to a 64Bit windows that does not require a clean install.

Good Luck

Roger

Just a caution on any thoughts about upgrading to an x64 bit on an older Dell system because Dell is notorious for limiting any upgrades with BIOS restrictions (even though the mobo may be capable) because they don't want you to enhance what they sold you... they want you to buy a new Dell-enhanced PC!

#5 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

UPDATE: I see that aabill has revisited this thread and, based on his lack of response, I have respectfully withdrawn my free RAM offer.

#6 aabill

aabill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

Anyrepli, sorry I'm so slow on the draw. Just now seeing this. But thanks. I will look around for a better price.

I think I only have two places to put memory. Doesn't that mean I only have room for two sticks?

New at this.

#7 aabill

aabill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

Good Luck

Roger

Thanks!

I see crucial.com had this on the page but I hadn't read it yet:

How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS. More information about OS memory maximums can be found here.

You save me from buying 4 gb that wouldn't even be effective.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:40 AM

No Problem, That is part of what we do here. Try to save money from being wasted.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users