Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

F.A.S.T. (Files and Settings Transfer Wizard) archive is corrupted!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 guitarmee

guitarmee

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:39 AM

I ran F.A.S.T. on a Windows XP MSE pc to make a backup of the files and settings as a first step in reinstalling Windows on it. The backup is just over 4 GB in size. After using F.A.S.T. then reformatting and reinstalling Windows, I went to restore the files and settings but the wizard will not work. I did some googling and discovered fastconv and TrID. When I run fastconv, I only get just over 2 GB of extracted files. I used TrID and had it rename the .dat files to useful extensions, but the main files (the pictures) are not there. I suppose they are in the 2 GB of data that was not extracted. Is there anyone who is familiar with recovering data from a corrupted F.A.S.T. backup? Help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 guitarmee

guitarmee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:52 AM

After many hours over many days of trying to get the F.A.S.T. backup extracted and files renamed with correct extensions I realized that even if I were able to manually get each file extracted, the files would still have random names and would not be in the original directories. So, I decided to try recovering the data that was on the hard drive initially (the data that I was backing up so I could re-install Windows). I had run into some problems with the XP install so I wound up formatting the hard drive and installing Windows XP about 4 times. I even did a slow format for one of the formats. I was able to recover the files! A small percentage of them were corrupt, but the large majority were just fine, and the recovered files' directory information was recovered so I did not have to organize the files. I will never use F.A.S.T. as the only backup of anything important ever again! I may use it in addition to a file-and-folder backup in order to save Windows settings or maybe Outlook e-mail account settings, and/or as a secondary temporary backup for a hard drive that needs to be reformatted.

So, I solved the problem by avoiding it and doing data recovery from the several-times-reformatted hard drive.

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:56 AM

Hi

It is good to know that you are able to recover the data. What recovery software you used ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users