Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan Questions/Answers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Research101

Research101

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

Hi,

I am currently studying in year 12 and for a subject we are required to ask someone some questions related to our topic. My chosen topic is Trojans.

Questions

How do Trojans get into your system?

What is the purpose of a Trojan and why do people make them?

Do firewalls play an important role in protecting your system against malware?

Is antivirus software the most affective way to remove a Trojan?

What is the most effective way to remove a Trojan?

What software/tools do you recommend that I should use to prevent Trojans/Malware?

My Answers

Trojans seem to get into people’s systems because they are disguised as something useful that people are interested in. For example a hacker may send out an email with an attachment that appears to be from an organization that is trustworthy. This persuades the recipient to open the attachment and this is one of the reasons Trojans get into peoples systems. For a Trojan horse to work it has to be executed.

A Trojan allows hackers to gain remote access to a computer. With this they can access personal data like bank account details and credit card information etc. People also make Trojans because they want to test their programming skills, they get of on it, they think they are doing it for a good cause and they are looking for attention/recognition.

Other things Trojans are used for are:

Anonymizing remote third-party internet viewing

What role do firewalls play in protecting your system against malware?

I believe firewalls play a very important role in protecting your system against malware because it’s the first line of defence when you’re surfing the Internet. The main purpose of a firewall is deciding what traffic it should permit and what traffic it should block and without a firewall anything can gain access to your computer over the Internet.

Is antivirus software the most affective way to remove a Trojan?

I know myself from previous experience that not all antivirus software can effectively remove a Trojan from a computer. I know you can manually remove a Trojan and there are also Malware removal tools. I have only ever used Malwarebytes but so far my entire computer hasn’t had any issues removing malware. 

With this questions its hard to answer because I’m not an except at how to remove Trojans but I have found that Antivirus can do a fairly good job but its also a good Idea to scan your computer with other tools as well to stay on the safe side. Everyone has their opinion on what’s the best way whether it’s with antivirus programs, removal tools or manual removal. Is there a most effective way of malware removal? or is just a matter of peoples previous experience dealing with malware.

What software/tools do you recommend that I should use to prevent Trojans/Malware?

I am currently using Avast as my antivirus program and it seems to being doing a good job. I also have Malwarebytes installed.

Other programs people seem to use are:

• AVG Antivirus
  • HijackThis
  • Blocklist
  • ZoneAlarm

Edited by Research101, 22 April 2013 - 11:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

Hello Research101,

Not bad! :thumbup2:

I'd like to add a few things to that:

Trojans seem to get into people’s systems because they are disguised as something useful that people are interested in. For example a hacker may send out an email with an attachment that appears to be from an organization that is trustworthy. This persuades the recipient to open the attachment and this is one of the reasons Trojans get into peoples systems. For a Trojan horse to work it has to be executed.

Using Peer to Peer (P2P) file sharing networks is another easy way to pick up malicious trojans, as well as downloading any "dodgy looking" programs or files from unknown sources.

A Trojan allows hackers to gain remote access to a computer. With this they can access personal data like bank account details and credit card information etc. People also make Trojans because they want to test their programming skills, they get of on it, they think they are doing it for a good cause and they are looking for attention/recognition.

In addition, many rogue programs will try to fool you into purchasing something that looks legitimate, when in reality the program can download further malware onto your machine, or some will do nothing at all.

In these cases, you have essentially just "paid" for malware. Safe and smart internet surfing really can't be stressed enough.

With this questions its hard to answer because I’m not an except at how to remove Trojans but I have found that Antivirus can do a fairly good job but its also a good Idea to scan your computer with other tools as well to stay on the safe side. Everyone has their opinion on what’s the best way whether it’s with antivirus programs, removal tools or manual removal. Is there a most effective way of malware removal? or is just a matter of peoples previous experience dealing with malware.

To be effective in removing trojans and malware in general, an automated tool or manual removal should also include removing related malware files or leftovers from an infection, and either removing or adjusting any registry entries that may have been affected by the infection.

Malwarebytes Antimalware is a great program and is very capable. But some infections will not be removed by the tool and will need special attention. The "specific type" of infection present on a machine is really what will dictate the proper tool(s) or methods of effective removal.

I am currently using Avast as my antivirus program and it seems to being doing a good job. I also have Malwarebytes installed.

Don't forget safe surfing!

Other good free antivirus programs available are Avira, and Microsoft Security Essentials.

Other programs people seem to use are:

• AVG Antivirus
  • HijackThis
  • Blocklist
  • ZoneAlarm

Just an FYI: HijackThis is an old tool and really isn't being updated or used much anymore. It is also not very effective on 64-bit machines. You probably shouldn't use the tool unless you know what you are doing. Using the tool unwisely can damage your machine.

Hope this helps! :)

bloopie

#3 Research101

Research101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

Thanks for your time I really appreciate it! 

#4 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

It was my pleasure!! :)

bloopie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users