Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc feared dead

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 hitpro

hitpro

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

after leaving the computer on all day (as usual) I came home and tried to log off my wife's account and it froze (as usual). so I cut the computer off with the power button (as usual) and when it restarted I got the dreaded blue screen of death. I got the unmountable boot volume message.

STOP: 0x000000ED (0x83F98520, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

here is what I tried so far:
* safe mode - didn't work
* last known configuration - didn't work
* chkdsk /p - it stopped at 33 percent. it said the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems
* fixboot - (see attachment)
* putting the drive into an external case and hooking it up to another computer - it couldn't be read.it said I would have to format the disk before I can use it.

I have an old Dell Dimension 8250 running windows xp. it's about 9 years old.

Any opinions?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

after leaving the computer on all day (as usual) I came home and tried to log off my wife's account and it froze (as usual). so I cut the computer off with the power button (as usual)

From your general post it sounds like the problem has been getting worse over the recent weeks ??

The quotes above show that the computer has not been working correctly for a while.

Chances are you should think about another HDD at a minimum - :mellow:

Compare repair costs and parts costs, then look at a more recent Windows7 based unit -

I have now that my XP (a great old computer) has ceased to function -

Someone here may have another option, but ...........

Edited by noknojon, 22 April 2013 - 07:29 PM.

#3 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

A fact for your consideration : HDDs work something like an old time record player. Record players had a "Tone arm" with a needle that was in contact with the record, and read the record by vibrating as it passed through the wavy grooves cut in the record. When you wanted to change the record you would put the "Tone arm" on its stand, so it was no longer in contact with the record before changing the record.

HDDs, have"Read Write Heads" that are not supposed to ever come in contact with the spinning platters beneath them. Instead they are kept floating just above the surface of the platters by an air cushion generated by the spinning of the platters, and they read and write information to the platters magnetically. When you use the Windows shutdown or restart procedure, the "Read Write Heads" get "PARKED", (similar to putting a record player "Tone Arm" on its stand), before the machine gets powered down, thereby preventing the heads from coming into contact with the platters.

BUT when you just power off the machine what happens is the "Read Write Heads" are still out over the spinning platters, when power is cut off, and the platters start to slow down their spinning, and the air cushion that supports the "Read Write Heads" collapses, and the Heads fall into contact with the still spinning platters. This is what is known as a "Head Crash" and YES it does damage the HDD, because typically the Heads bounce back up then fall back down several times, before finally scraping to a stop.

SO : 1) Use the windows shutdown procedure whenever possible. 2) When not possible use the Control Alt Delete key combination to bring up the Task Manager window and use it to shut down. 3) When that isn't possible use the power button, but have it set for the "4 Second Delay" so as to leave time to "Park" the "Read Write Heads"

If I were you, and you have a Windows XP install disk, what I would do is replace the HDD then reinstall Windows on the new HDD. You probably will not be able to salvage any data off your old HDD, so in future : 1) Follow my instructions above. 2) Ideally install a second HDD to keep backups or "Ghost Images" on, so in the event of future problems you can restore your Windows partition.

Edited by JHMcG, 22 April 2013 - 08:26 PM.

#4 hitpro

hitpro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I might add that I did try the other alternatives before using the power button (as usual) lol
Im pretty sure the hard drive is gone. I was hoping to salvage a few very important files from the HDD. What do guys think about those data recovery companies?

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:09 AM

I just looked around the listed ones, and most will not give open price quotes, so you need to contact your nearest one.

There are many listed, so carefully select one if you wish to go that way. Nearest time frame I found was about 1 working week, but you may have a local branch that will give you better ideas on all deals -

Check them on the internet, and see if they are compared / rated against other people that do the same thing.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

Some free data=recovery tools used by members with reports of success:

Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download - http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Partition Find and Mount — free partition recovery software - http://findandmount.com/

Recover files from Windows hard disk using Puppy Linux help.artaro.eu - http://help.artaro.eu/index.php/data-recovery/recover-files-from-hard-disk.html

Data Recovery Using Puppy Linux, Brooks - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/489067/dual-boot-system-bluescreens-1-of-my-startup-choices/

Data Recovery , GParted, AA - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic474881.html

Data Recovery Flowchart - Online Repair Service at FixIt.Litten.com - http://fixit.litten.com/datarecoveryflowchart.htm#flow6

Louis

#7 hitpro

hitpro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

thanks for the replies guys.
@hamluis:
I'm trying puppy linux right now. It appears to be working. Im copying files to USB drives.

I have an old 3.5 inch hard drive that was used as an external drive and I wanna replace my old hard drive with this one. The new drive is 250G vs 120G for the old one. I have a couple questions though.

1- the new drive has three partitions, of which two are empty. How can I keep the partition with data on it AND install windows xp on a new partition?
2- I have the Dell reinstallation CD. how can I install it on the new hard drive and make it the C:/ partition?

#8 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

The "C" partition, which Windows lives in MUST be the first partition on the HDD; so if the partition that you want to save data on is the first partition, then you must copy those files into one of the other partitions, then format that first partition and install Windows into it. If on the other hand the data that you want to save is in one of the other partitions, then just go ahead and install Windows in the first partition.

#9 hitpro

hitpro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

right now the partitions are. E, F, & G. I'm guessing because it was an external hard drive. my data is on F.

once I connect the hard drive will one of the partitions be labeled as C? if not, I think there is a way to redesignate each drive letter. am i correct? i then would have to delete the 3rd partition?

Finally, will the reinstallation disk work on a new hard drive? I've read where you can only reinstall it on the existing hard drive.

#10 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:50 AM

Once you connect this HDD and install windows on what is now the "E" Drive, it will become the "C" Drive; and I suspect that your "F" drive with your data on it will become "D" Drive.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

Cloning the drive...provided sufficient free space exists on the 2d drive...seems to be a viable perspective, as opposed to a reinstall of Windows.

Louis

#12 hitpro

hitpro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:21 PM

Wouldn't there be a problem cloning because of the errors mentioned in my first post?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

I can't say...since I don't know the origin of the errors that you mention.

Errors can be caused (generally) by hardware, malware, Windows itself...I just know that the time it takes to clone a hard drive is pretty insignificant compared to the time it takes to do a clean install and reinstall programs.  So I would try that first...if that failed (and it wasn't a hardware issue), then I would go the longer route.

If the drive cannot be read (as you state in your initial post), then the cloning software would not be able to even attempt its job, IMO.  That would seem to indicate a hardware situation possibly calling for a new drive or, at the minimum, running the appropriate hard drive diagnostic (to verify the functionality of the drive) before doing anything.  It could also indicate that the partition structure is damaged and unuseable, which might be able to be overcome by deleting/formatting/clean installing.  In any case, running the disk diagnostic seems a vital step.

Chkdsk /r is the command you should have run, not chkdsk /p.  Chkdsk is a file system tool...it checks the status of the file structure, partiition structure, files...it is not a hard drive diagnostic for drive functionalty.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 May 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#14 hitpro

hitpro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

Ok, here's the latest.
it looks like my hard drive is dead. thanks to hamluis I was able to get most of my data off the drive. By the way, I totally forgot that a couple of years ago I backed up my whole hard drive to an external WD hard drive. So what I did was copy the data from the WD hard drive to the250 G hard drive. If u remember my partition situation in post #7, what I've managed to do is delete and consolidate 2 of the 3 partitions. So what im left with now are drives "E" and "F". I did all the consolidation, deleting, etc, using Windows Explorer and Disk management on my laptop.

Ok, I hope all that wasnt too confusing. My problem now is I installed the hard drive in the computer with the 2yr old copy of my hard drive, BUT the computer wont boot. I suspect it's because I dont have an official "C" drive. So after all that... how can I make the "F" partition the "C" partition? I put the HD back in the external case and connected it to my laptop in an effort to change the assignment... to no avail.

#15 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

Like I said before, Windows MUST be installed on the first Partition of the HDD it is on. That is "C" drive. If you have windows on the "F" partition, and there is an "E" partition in front of it, it ain't gonna work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users