Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hijacked Topic, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sudsy

sudsy

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

Mod Edit: Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/491401/high-cpu-usage-ntoskrnl/ - Hamluis.

I had a similar problem last week. I found that Google Earth was doing it. Long story short, I noticed it. I ran Malwarebytes and two other programs that found nothing. I then tried my Auslogic Disk Defragmentator. his usually comes up with about 100 - 200 fragmented files when I run it. It came up with like 9469 files or something and ran for almost ten minutes. It was mainly removing Google Earth files. You can see the files being processed with this defragmentator. I thought maybe my install had become corrupted so I uninstalled and re-installed  Google Earth. The first time I opened the program the same stuff started and as quick as I could shut it down (I had to completely restart the PC to stop the hard drive activity. Auslogic found 1265 (these numbers are estimated) that were corrupted and Google Earth only ran for less than 30 seconds. My PC now defrags in less than 30 seconds. I highly recommend the Auslocic Disk Defragmenter.

Sudsy

Edited by hamluis, 22 April 2013 - 12:24 PM.
PM sent new OP.

UFO pilot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

In task manager, my CPU usage, relative to running processes, hovers between 0% and 1% when idle. Does your task manager show high CPU usage at idle, and if so, what processes are causing the high CPU usage? This should not be confused with the CPU system idle percentages.

#3 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

In task manager, my CPU usage, relative to running processes, hovers between 0% and 1% when idle. Does your task manager show high CPU usage at idle, and if so, what processes are causing the high CPU usage? This should not be confused with the CPU system idle percentages.

I didn't check task manager other than look at the list and saw that "system Idle" process seemed to be using a lot of HD.

See my next post here.

Sudsy

Edited by sudsy, 20 April 2013 - 08:53 PM.

UFO pilot

#4 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

I just tried to re-install Google Earth on this machine. It installed ok. I opened it with no other programs open and it ran ok BUT>>>

Then after closing it I remembered I wanted to see something so I opened it again from the new desktop ICON. It started the same crazy HD dance. I had to again shut down to stop it. (less than 30 sec) Then I ran Auslogis Disk Defragmentator again. It found almost 2000 corrupt files again and took 3:44 to defrag. After that I defragged 2 more times and it now defrags in 18 sec. Google Earth removed here again.

Then I went to my Desktop PC to verify the above. I searched for files and found a Google updated that I removed. Now Google Earth re-install fails. I sent a crash report to Google with a program called  "Sawbuck" that they ask for when I clicked on help. This was all on the Desktop PC. So I have two machines that do it. I am not even going to try my Netbook until a fix is found.

Anyway it's still wacked out. Try getting rid of it and then a disk defrag. It will probably take a long ime if you use the standard MS defrag program under "C" Properties>tools>defrag.

Sudsy

UFO pilot

#5 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

Your original post was a complaint about a slow computer. The check I recommended would be a good place to start your troubleshooting. Good luck.

#6 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

Your original post was a complaint about a slow computer. The check I recommended would be a good place to start your troubleshooting. Good luck.

I did not post the Original Complaint but am having the same Drive Activity problems and the are ALL BEING CAUSED BY GOOGLE EARTH.

Sudsy

I fixed mine you fix yours.

Edited by sudsy, 20 April 2013 - 10:11 PM.

UFO pilot

#7 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:16 PM

Another thought.

All of my "pushpin" markers came back when I re-installed. I am beginning to think the problem may lie in those files. I found them but haven't deleted them yet. I also found in my search an "uninstall" file whick I think would probably completely remove all of my personal information (pushpins etc)

If I think of anything else I will post here.

Moderators

Should this "problem" be linked to other complaints on Slow Computers? Maybe so. It sure slowed mine right down.

Sudsy

UFO pilot

#8 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:56 AM

Hello sudsy,

I didn't realize that you had interjected your own unique 'slow computer' problem into someone else's thread and since your problem is quite different than the original poster's problem, you may have served this community better by starting your own unique thread. As you are (probably) aware, there are many reasons why a computer might be running slow and, IMHO, each reported instance should have its own unique thread unless you can actually correlate your situation to the original poster's problem and in your case, I believe your problem has nothing to do with the original poster's problem.

#9 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

Hello sudsy,

I didn't realize that you had interjected your own unique 'slow computer' problem into someone else's thread and since your problem is quite different than the original poster's problem, you may have served this community better by starting your own unique thread. As you are (probably) aware, there are many reasons why a computer might be running slow and, IMHO, each reported instance should have its own unique thread unless you can actually correlate your situation to the original poster's problem and in your case, I believe your problem has nothing to do with the original poster's problem.

Believe what you want but I thought it was an easy enough thing to check without running never ending scans and creating logs and such.I like to keep things simple if I can.

I did post my problem separately (Google Gone Wild) several days before these other folks started posting their problems.  No one replied with a suggestion and when I was looking for followup info I saw the other post. Seemed like a coincidence that these post started after a Window Update.

Sudsy

UFO pilot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users