Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System restore hell

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 LadyShinez

LadyShinez

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

I have been trying to restore my Dell Inspiron 1126 for days now. When I turn it on i get the black screen. I press f11 and have tried every option. I get to system restore and it tells me that there is not enough memory to perform. I have no clue as to how im going to clear memory if i cant get the comp to start up. Please help me if you can. I am a broke student who has no money for another comp. Please help if possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,916 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

Dell: Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings: Windows 7
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

Just an FYI that I can't find any listing (at Dell) for an Inspiron (model) 1126. Can you please confirm the make/model number?

#4 LadyShinez

LadyShinez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

Just an FYI that I can't find any listing (at Dell) for an Inspiron (model) 1126. Can you please confirm the make/model number?

On the comp it says model number p07t but when I go to the setup utility it says inspiron 1121. I apologize if im confusing you but im confused myself.

#5 LadyShinez

LadyShinez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

I have tried this when the comp starts I press f8 and it stays on the black screen for a looong time. The only options that I have gotten to work is pressing f11 at start up. The only options that work for me are the command prompt and system restore. I try and preform system restore then it tells me there is not enough free disc space to preform the task.  :smash:

#6 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

Any chance you're missing the F8 timeframe for execution because it should work; however, I notice that you can do F11 OK so I assume they are the same timeframes. Anyway, just try and start hitting F8 as soon as you power on and see if that gets you to the right place (without a black screen). You also might want to try and restore your BIOS to factory defaults and then retry the F8 again.

#7 LadyShinez

LadyShinez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

Any chance you're missing the F8 timeframe for execution because it should work; however, I notice that you can do F11 OK so I assume they are the same timeframes. Anyway, just try and start hitting F8 as soon as you power on and see if that gets you to the right place (without a black screen). You also might want to try and restore your BIOS to factory defaults and then retry the F8 again.

I dont think im missing the timeframe I have tried a bajillion times. Im not sure how to restore the bios..off to google I go.

#8 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

Hit F2 on Post (when prompted) and look for something like "restore defaults." . AND it sounds like you are not missing that Windows but it wouldn't hurt to try it anyway; yes? BTW, you said you go to a black screen when trying to do the factory restore; yes? Now, during that time, is your hard drive on solid or flickering because some of these functions take quite long to load properly so, if your hard drive is on solid (and flickering at times), I would take a coffee break and come back in 15 minutes or so to see if you've reached the proper screen because boot failures usually result in some sort of notification eventually..

Edited by anyrepli, 22 April 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#9 LadyShinez

LadyShinez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

Hit F2 on Post (when prompted) and look for something like "restore defaults." . AND it sounds like you are not missing that Windows but it wouldn't hurt to try it anyway; yes? BTW, you said you go to a black screen when trying to do the factory restore; yes? Now, during that time, is your hard drive on solid or flickering because some of these functions take quite long to load properly so, if your hard drive is on solid (and flickering at times), I would take a coffee break and come back in 15 minutes or so to see if you've reached the proper screen because boot failures usually result in some sort of notification eventually.

I hit f2 and the insydeh20 setup utility comes up.I see nothing about restore defaults. Im going to take that coffee break as you suggested because the light is solid for the most part but it does flicker.  wish me luck pressing f8 again 

#10 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

Good luck; however, in case that doesn't pan out, how about going back into the BIOS and look at the bottom-right of the screen. Do you see F9 restore defaults?

#11 LadyShinez

LadyShinez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

Hit F2 on Post (when prompted) and look for something like "restore defaults." . AND it sounds like you are not missing that Windows but it wouldn't hurt to try it anyway; yes? BTW, you said you go to a black screen when trying to do the factory restore; yes? Now, during that time, is your hard drive on solid or flickering because some of these functions take quite long to load properly so, if your hard drive is on solid (and flickering at times), I would take a coffee break and come back in 15 minutes or so to see if you've reached the proper screen because boot failures usually result in some sort of notification eventually..

I think 

Good luck; however, in case that doesn't pan out, how about going back into the BIOS and look at the bottom-right of the screen. Do you see F9 restore defaults?

I tried it. I waited and waited then the recovery prompt about the keyboard came up. f9 says something about load optimal settings i select it and nothing changes. 

#12 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

Sorry that none of my suggestions worked for you and I'm not sure what you mean by "recovery prompt about the keyboard came up" because that was never mentioned before. Anyway, I'm hoping someone else will come along with some fresh ideas that are easy for you to follow. Good luck.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,916 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

You can always check with Dell Support for Home Users.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#14 LadyShinez

LadyShinez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:56 PM

Sorry that none of my suggestions worked for you and I'm not sure what you mean by "recovery prompt about the keyboard came up" because that was never mentioned before. Anyway, I'm hoping someone else will come along with some fresh ideas that are easy for you to follow. Good luck.

When my system recovery starts it asks about my keyboard setting then I select US. Im literally in tears

#15 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:32 AM

Hello again LadyShinez,

You have to be more thorough in your responses. So you did finally make it to the system recovery screen and then you were prompted to select a keyboard setting... then what happened?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users