Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Split, System Problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sudsy

sudsy

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/492261/system-is-crawlingsystem-idle-over-95programs-barely-run/ - Hamluis.

This problem came on in a matter of days....My system has 6GB of memory, has over 500 GB HD that is less than 60% full. Task Manager says System Idle Process is at 95-98% CPU usage. Start-Up is loading a minimal amount of processes. My system is running so slow that it takes minutes to start applications that came up in seconds. The processor light on the PC is lit all the time. This machine, a Dell 570 ran perfectly until a few weeks ago, and now, is virtually unusable. Help!!! What has happened to this machine?

I have defragged this machine using Auslogics, cleaned up the registry using Norton 360 and the system requires a hard-reboot most of the time, as it locks-up. It will run for a few minutes seemingly well, then the processor light goes solid and nothing will run. What is happening?? 

Look at the "High CPU usage" post here.

Maybe that's it. If you don't have Google earth, never-mind.

Sudsy

Edited by hamluis, 22 April 2013 - 11:42 AM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

UFO pilot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cyrus not the Virus

Cyrus not the Virus

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:57 AM

Hi sudsy!

Looks like your system is just like mine.

U should not have defrag. Nothing is wrong,

Is your system installed with AVG?

Did this happened after a Windows update?

Run SFC to check.

Goto cmd run sfc/scannow  right click as Admin 

Edited by Cyrus not the Virus, 21 April 2013 - 05:58 AM.

#3 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

Hi sudsy!

Looks like your system is just like mine.

U should not have defrag. Nothing is wrong,

Is your system installed with AVG?

Did this happened after a Windows update?

Run SFC to check.

Goto cmd run sfc/scannow  right click as Admin 

Cyrus;

Yes I have ACG free installed.

Yes this happened after a Windows Update. Last week.

I ran SFC and it found and repaired corrupted files.

How do I find the log file so I can see if the files were related?

I know I shouldn't have to defragent but after the Google Earth starts the activity it fragments my Hard Drive.

Sudsy

UFO pilot

#4 Cyrus not the Virus

Cyrus not the Virus

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

You will find the guide here

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program generates in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

Windows 7 is having a problem with AVG as the anti virus.

Use this search term in the search engine:AVG 2012 caused Windows 7 to crash  and

how to see sfc log

Edited by Cyrus not the Virus, 21 April 2013 - 11:33 PM.

#5 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

You will find the guide here

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program generates in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

Windows 7 is having a problem with AVG as the anti virus.

Use this search term in the search engine:AVG 2012 caused Windows 7 to crash  and

how to see sfc log

Thank you Cyrus. I will check that out. I have AVG 2013 free installed but that explains a lot. Like why all three machines are acting crazy. 

Sudsy

UFO pilot

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

One of the first things I check on win7 is the media player network sharing service. I don't know why but on several systems I have worked on it causes the same symptoms you describe. Go to services and locate it. Stop it and then set it to disabled. It is not needed unless you plan in using you win7 as a media streaming box.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#7 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

One of the first things I check on win7 is the media player network sharing service. I don't know why but on several systems I have worked on it causes the same symptoms you describe. Go to services and locate it. Stop it and then set it to disabled. It is not needed unless you plan in using you win7 as a media streaming box.

Thanks. I found it, stopped it and will try to reload Google Earth now. If that works I'll find some other post to HIJACK!  Jeeese!

wah wah wah

Sudsy

UFO pilot

#8 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:34 AM

I tried that with no success. I reloaded Goggle Earth and the hard drive activity went to the ceiling. I will try to attach pictures here but ask if you could please make further responses to MY post titled "Google Gone Wild" from WAY before Studeguy54's post that I tried to help him with. My computer is making a whining noise on this page anymore.
I guess I can't attach pictures here. They showed the Auslogic Defrag operation and you can see that most of the scattered files were Google Earth related.

Sudsy
UFO pilot

#9 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

Hello Sudsy,

I really think the wah, wah, wah is on you because you have 3 machines that (you say) are driving you crazy. If that is true, then you are in no position to help anyone so instead of interjecting your problems (and hijacking) other poster's threads, why don't you just observe for a while and give others a chance to respond to the original poster's issue and maybe, just maybe, you'll get some answers that may be applicable to your situation as well. Now, if you have, in fact, started some of your own threads and no one has responded, I guess I can understand why now. Anyway, best of luck with all your problems and I hope you get Google Earth fixed quite soon so you can go watch it for a while. AND finally, to quote one of your responses from a different thread that you hijacked, "I fixed mine, now you fix yours."

I apologize to the original poster and ask that you try again (may be best to wait until after sudsy reports that Google Earth is fixed).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users