Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

chdsk for external hard drive files?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kdotg

kdotg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

Hi everyone, I have a Western Digital My Passport external hard drive that is coming up as "corrupt or unreadable" by my home computer (Windows XP). I took it in to work today and their Windows 7 system can read and open it, but I get a message saying some files are corrupt and I should run chkdsk. The reason I'm asking if I should really do that is because when I ran that idea past a friend over the weekend, he declared nope, that might delete all your files. He works mainly with Macs, but now I'm paranoid and would like a second or third opinion here! (And if I backup my files first, will moving corrupt data onto a new drive create this problem all over again?) Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• Security Colleague
  • 350 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

Happens to me all the time with my USB Flash, and nothing went wrong so far...

Corrupter files are probably because not using safely remove option.

#3 jacksons84

jacksons84

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:59 AM

your Corrupter files are not recoverable.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

In your computer, go to Disk Management (enter diskmgmt.msc in the search field) when the WD Passport is plugged in. See if you can see the disk there, if it has a drive letter, and what files are visible in Disk Management.

You can run chkdsk on the Passport. However, chkdsk will try to repair any bad sectors it finds and data in those sectors may be lost.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

Just a note....chkdsk /r is the only command which attempts to reover data on bad clusters...and move such to good sectors on a partition/drive.  Chkdsk /r is not concerned with repairing the hard drive, as a hard drive diagnostic would be...it tries to repair the file system and files upon the file system...so that Windows can function as it is meant to.

Louis

#6 jacksons84

jacksons84

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:11 AM

Not Possible

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users