Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wishing to install windows 7 on another HDD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 topeira

topeira

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

hi guys.

here is the situation - 

i have HDD C: - where windows 7 is installed.

i also have HDD D: where all my programs are installed.

i just bought HDD X: which is completely clean and formatted.

what i wish to do is install win7 on X: and slowly install all the prgrams i have on D: also on X: so eventually i can stop using C: as my boot drive (cuz C: is old and small and full to the brim). 

also , since installing everything is a long process during which i will be left without a fully operated computer to work on i wish to do this in small increments and continue using the computer with my windows on C: and run the programs from D: until i have everything on X: so i can migrate.

so my quesion is - how do i go about and do that?

i have (legally) DLed windows 7 from a website into D:. 

1) should I try and install it from where i DLed it? will it ask me where to install windows 7 (so i can tell it to install on X:) or will it overwrite my current win7 on C:?

2) after i have installed win7 on X: should i reboot the computer and set the bios to boot from X: instead of C: and then install all programs into X:?

3) lets say i have win7 and a few programs on X:, how can i go back to boot from C: and run the programs and games i have on D: just like i did before?

i assume there is a way to use two operating systems at once but i have never done this so i dont know how to go about doing this and if it is a good way of achieving what im trying to do....

what do you say?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

Well...what I would do is use Macrium Reflect and...

a.  First clone the hard drive currently with Windows...to a partition I create on the new large drive.

b.  Then...clone the contents of the drive with programs...to a second partition on the new large drive.

Whole thing takes less that 45 minutes (probably) and you have a valid, working Windows and all programs on the same drive.

If you want to adjust the partition sizes...you can do that later with any number of utilites.

Louis

#3 topeira

topeira
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:50 AM

thanks loius :)

1) can i clone everything from C: to X: and afterwards change the drive letter from X: to C: and C: to , say, T: and then run everything as normal without changing what i have on D:? ( i assume that all my programs and games on D: will look for the files on C:, so the boot drive has to remain C: in its name....)

i dont need to remove what i have on D:.

2) also, in macrium, do i just pick "image this partition only" from the options i have on C: (c: is a partition on my HDD) and chose the destination as X: and that's it?

should i compress the date?! i dont think it makes sense that i will be able to boot from compressed files....

3) how do i tell the computer to boot from X: from now on instead of C:? or can i just change the letters of the drives as i wrote above and be done with it without going into the bios?

or maybe i need to create a clone and then "restore" it? i dont know how to use this software... :-\

4) but secondly - even if cloning works, i think i do need to try a clean install of windows because some of the things i have on C: and some of my programs dont work properly. i think there are some registry faults and i think i do need a fresh start... as much as i passionately hate doing this and might be doing it in the end of 2013 anyways....

and in order to do a fresh start i need to install everything fresh on X: , which brings me to the idea of installing windows and some stuff on X: but going back to booting from C: when i dont have the time to keep installing on X:.... which i dont know how to do....

Edited by topeira, 23 April 2013 - 06:25 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

Please...before using any program...read the instructions and/or Help menus, they will answer many questions and provide useful information you may not have thought of.

A clone is an exact copy...if you do as I suggested, the results will be as I suggested.

Louis

#5 topeira

topeira
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

thanks again, louis.

i managed to clone C: into X: using macrium but i cant seem to boot from X:.

i got into the BIOS and in there i changed the boot order to the X: hard drive first, pressed F10 to save and exit, rebooted and i get a DOS error saying:

"disk boot failure. insert system disk and press enter"

if i revert back to booting from the C: HDD than everything is cool.

im doing something wrong, am i?

also, say i DO manage to boot from X:, how do i keep all the files that referenced to C: no reference to X: so i dont have to re-install stuff? if i boot from X: will i be able to rename the C: HDD into another letter like Y: and then boot the computer from Y: and then change X: name to C: and then boot from C: (the X: hdd)?

is that the way to do it?

Edited by topeira, 24 April 2013 - 03:14 PM.

#6 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

your boot sector is missing OR your boot manager is missing OR the boot references in the boot manager are wrong... this can happen when adding a drive and cloning it.

My favorite way of solving it is unpluging the old drive that i am getting rid of, setting the new drive as the boot drive, and then booting from a window install disc and selecting repair your computer and then startup repair.

After then you can plug your old drive back in and go back into bios make sure it is still booting from the new drive and when you get into the operating system it will automatically get a new drive letter.  If it takes over the d: drive letter you will need to fix that and restart otherwise none of those programs that you have installed to the original d: drive will work. 

Edited by AngryRaisin, 24 April 2013 - 04:01 PM.

#7 WalkingAtNight

WalkingAtNight

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:25 AM

Hello topeira.. question, u said u downloaded windows 7 from a website, is this download an iso? or what is it?  are you able to burn it to a cd so u can boot from it?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

What drives are connected...and how...when you attempt to boot from the cloned drive?

The only drive connected initially...should be the cloned drive.  It should be the only drive available for selection as a boot drive.  That will tell you that the clone was successful.

After you see that the cloned drive boots...then you can attach other drives.

Louis

#9 topeira

topeira
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

hi guys.

when i booted the computer i tried with all drivers connected (in which case it just booted from the normal C: drive) or when either of the older drivers disconnected. whenever i had the original C: disconnected i got this error.

when i tried to boot with emy old win7 DVD in teh drive i didnt get a "repair" option.

i got a few other recovery mods with something called EMS (a 64bit version and a 'normal' version).

either of these 2 didnt work. the computer "loaded" files and then i got a black screen with the win7 desktop in full screen and a mouse cursor but nothing else.

if i chose either of the 2 recovery modes and pressed F8 i got these options:

safe mode

safe mode with command prompt

safe mode with networking

enable boot logging

enable low-res display

last known good configuration

directory services restore mode

debugging mode

disable automatic restart on system failure

disable driver signature enforcement

i tried boot logging but i got the black win7 screen :-\ and was a bit wary of trying any other mode.

#10 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

I would unplug the old drive and plugin just the new drive that windows was copied onto...

restart and boot from your windows 7 install disc where you should get to this screen

1_zpsca2dae01.png

Then select repair your computer from this screen

2_zps0d6a19b8.jpg

you should get this screen

3_zps717e33da.png

and then select startup repair from this screen

4_zps65897500.jpg

Edited by AngryRaisin, 28 April 2013 - 04:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users